SuperGrover Config

SuperGrover

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
Sandboxing/Virtualization: Paid-for Sanboxie (recent purchase due to this forum!)
Backups:I make regular backups with Macrium reflect free for quick system recovery. I also use freefilesync to copy my important data to a truecrypted external hard drive which I store securely elsewhere for disaster recovery purposes.
Firewall: Windows firewall plus my router has its SPI Firewall enabled (My PC is Full stealth on all ports according to Shields up at grc.com)
Other: UAC on Full, I also dont have Java installed as it seems to be a very big target these days. Big fan of Piriform portable applications. Also use file hippo or sumo (sandboxed then disposed of) to check for application updates. Also I use OpenDNS rather than my ISPs DNS.
Random Thoughts: Was a die hard user of Avast but switched to AVG at the beginning of the year as it seemed to be winning most best free-av awards in computers magazines, although I do miss my anti-virus scanner talking to me, in particular with the pirate language pack installed. Hooray for pointless but fun features in software.

Also I must confess to recently switched to using Chrome as main browser from IE9 so i'm ignorant of any 'must haves' for Chrome. Grateful for any suggestions although I like to keep things simple/easy on system resources as possible.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think using AVG just because its winning all sorts of awards is a good decision, but again if you are feel fine with it than its sure OK.
Removing Java was indeed a very good idea if you can live without it.
You have a good Backup (Assuming that you have a Recovery media already built to boot from it and restore your backup)

With Chrome i would suggest you to use WOT+Adblock+Ghostery should be enough

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Would like to one more thing,

Have a second opinion scanner just in case Like Hitman and Malware Bytes

SuperGrover

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
Thank you. Have been checking out WOT, Adblock and Ghostery in Chrome now and like what i'm seeing.

Backup wise I have the Macrium reflect linux recovery ISO as part of a Sardu boot USB drive so I have got that covered

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Antivirus: AVG Free 2013 -Good
On-Demand Scanners: I would recommend Malwarebytes of Emsisoft in the scanners list.
Google Chrome Extensions: I recommend Ad-Block, Bitdefender TrafficLight, and WOT
Virtualization: Sandboxie -Good
UAC: Max -Good
Do you use CCleaner? I would recommend IObit Uninstaller.

For your avast sounds... Go to avast.com/fun and select the pirate theme voice, download the voice and you'll need an archiver (7-zip, WinRAR, etc.). Open the voice file as an archive. Then drag and drop the audio files in the file onto your desktop and move them to a place you will not delete them. In the AVG settings menu you should find an area where it has sound alerts or something in there. Finally chose the browse option for the alerts and set the sounds to active you should be good.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For Windows 7 :

Real Time Protectiom :

On-Demand scanners :

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and confortable:

SuperGrover

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Will take a look at all suggestions. Sorted out the pirate sounds and my AVG is sounding err...much saltier now. I do use Ccleaner. Also I've started to use Iobit uinstaller as i've seen that suggested here. Used to use Revo uninstaller and the Iobit one seems to be a case of "much the same only better in every respect".

Free AV wise, in my experience have seen Microsoft/Avira miss detecting malware a little too often hence AVG or Avast being my preferred options. (Only my preference based on experiences from a small number of infected users).

P

Plexx

AVG 2013 Antivirus Free offers a decent protection and has decent detection rate. At this stage, I would keep AVG instead of moving to avast! 7...

avast! has only proven to have issues patch after patch since version 7 came out. AVG 2013 improved much over 2012 version.

Other than that not much to add. On a personal opinion level, the more extensions you add to a browser, the more ram is used, but then again if you do need the extensions you have then stick to it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.