SW's Config

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
I only have a problem with a really bad virus every now and then. I don't use real time scanners because they just eat up too much processing power. I only recently heard of Rootkit viruses when I actually got one. Before that, it's been a year or so since the last bad virus but MalwareBytes zapped that one.

I'm currently using MB and Spybot S&D. For maintenance, I bought TuneUp Utilities.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanx,

SW

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For Windows XP (I'm guessing?) :

Other Free AV software :

On-Demand scanners :

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and confortable:

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

By which vector did you get infected?

In my opinion, Spybot is useless; You have some AV that are really performant and light on system like Avast, Webroot SA or Panda Cloud AV free.
You should try them.

If you dont want any AV, you should invest on some virtualization softs, the best one is Sandboxie. It allow you to run your browser or apps in a sandbox and negate all changes by closing it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What are your PC specs? Would you be able to upgrade to Windows 7 or purchase the newly released Windows 8? Reason being - as you may be aware - Windows XP is an ancient OS in modern terms, and I'd suggest looking at a better and more secure OS (by default).

Below are my suggestions, took me a while (30 minutes :blush: ) so some may be repeated from users above my post.

Other than that glad to see your config, hope this is of some help! :D

Run Windows Update to download and install Service Pack 3 or visit below to download manually;

The IE browser still needs to be updated, even if you use Firefox. Check to make sure you have Internet Explorer 8 installed (or via Windows Update);

Install Secunia PSI 3.0 to eradicate (or to reduce) any programs that may lead to infections through vulnerabilities. Some program updates may require user interaction;

Surf safely within the boundaries of Sandboxie, increasing security and reducing infections;
  • Sandboxie
    FrontPageAnimation.gif

Don't like Sandboxie? Try the alternate, Bufferzone Pro. It contains a few more features and a Firewall compared to Sandboxie, but both isolate any unwanted changes and can be easily undone;

I'd advise uninstalling Spybot Search & Destroy, since it's practically useless against today's malware. Replace with a secondary on-demand scanner (no need to activate license);

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
Earth - Okay, I updated to SP3, and IE 8, I'm looking into Secunia, and trying out Sandboxie. I forgot to list Hitman in my initial post so I'll edit that in.

McLovin - Thanks for links, videos, and suggestions. I watched the vids and downloaded Sandboxie. I do have Web of Trust and really like it.
I'm still checking the rest.

Umbra Corp. said:
By which vector did you get infected?

In my opinion, Spybot is useless; You have some AV that are really performant and light on system like Avast, Webroot SA or Panda Cloud AV free.
You should try them.

I think it was a fake file at this link but not 100% sure.

hxxp://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/2242202/Meyl-Scalar-Waves-%28first-Tesla-physics-textbook-for-engineers%29-%282003%29-zip

ComodoRulz - ok, Spybot is history, Thnx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.