Advice Request System backup and disk backup difference in AOMEI Backupper

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
hello gents,
i am new to AOEMI backupper software. i have two internal hard drives (1 SSD 128 GB for windows and programs and 2 TB HDD for my files) for HDD i copy my data regularly to external hard drive) so i want to know the suitable type of backup to select (disk or system backup) i want to deplouy the following tasks when complete system failure occur:
  1. restore my current windows with the latest state i backed up the windows with out needing for windows iso burned on flash drive.
  2. All program installed are restored with their current configuration.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
System Backup is a kind of backup aiming at imaging system partition and other system related partitions (such as system reserved partition and boot partition), including system files, boot files, data on these partitions.
Partition backup backups only selected partition.

In this case you want to do a System Backup

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
System Backup is a kind of backup aiming at imaging system partition and other system related partitions (such as system reserved partition and boot partition), including system files, boot files, data on these partitions.
Partition backup backups only selected partition.

In this case you want to do a System Backup
there is another option called disk partition. i think in my case both (disk and system) are the same i have a separate SSD drive for windows and program files

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
there is another option called disk partition. i think in my case both (disk and system) are the same i have a separate SSD drive for windows and program files
Disk will backup the whole disk. Be aware that sometimes Windows, while installing and formatting partitions, puts boot partition and system reserved partition on a separate physical disks. That can cause serious problems, so check that twice while imaging.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Disk will backup the whole disk. Be aware that sometimes Windows, while installing and formatting partitions, put boot partition and system reserved partition on a separate physical disks. That can cause serious problems, so check that twice while imaging.
you are right

i found that when i re formated my hard dusk from GPT to MBR to instal windows 7 as u can see in thus screen shot

118 meabyte i think where reserved for system in GPT disk

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It's the best to put out the HDD until the Windows is installed. When you see the Desktop, shut it down and connect the secondary HDD. That way you will be sure that all system partitions are made onto the SSD.
Good idea but it will be onetime backup i do not prefer disconnect hard drive each time i make the image

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Good idea but it will be onetime backup i do not prefer disconnect hard drive each time i make the image
No, you do that just once, when you are doing a clean install. That way you'll be sure that boot partitions are made on your SSD. Any next timr you want to image your system it will backup properly.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello friends,

My brain is a little tired from setting up my new PC, lack of sleep :sleep:, etc. so I am seeking clarity. I wish to use Aomei Backerupper to backup an image of my entire Windows 7 system to an external HD. Do I choose "System Backup" or "Disk Backup"?

I know: User could be blind or dumb! :rolleyes:o_O

Gapp

Level 2
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
...my entire Windows 7 system
-- If what you state as your Windows 7 system is the "system partition" then you should select "System Backup" as using this will let you select the system partition or if you have more than 1 system partition (as in dual-boot) you can select it there.

WNA6ykL.png

Disk Backup backups the whole HDD contents so if you have 1 system partition and 1 logical on an HDD then both system + logical will be backed-up.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
-- If what you state as your Windows 7 system is the "system partition" then you should select "System Backup" as using this will let you select the system partition or if you have more than 1 system partition (as in dual-boot) you can select it there.

WNA6ykL.png

Disk Backup backups the whole HDD contents so if you have 1 system partition and 1 logical on an HDD then both system + logical will be backed-up.

Bingo! This is what I chose. Thank you sir! Can you please explain further the difference between these 2 options?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
AOMEI answers

System Backup
What Is System Backup?

System Backup is different from partition backup and disk backup. Partition Backup is to back up partitions you select, you can select D:drive, E:drive, F:drive to be backed up,etc; and Disk Backup is to back up all partitions on specific disk you select,including all data on this disk.

Disk Backup
Disk Backup is to back up all partitions on specific disk you select to an image file, system partition and boot partition included. That means if you back up a system disk via Disk Backup, after restoring it, the system can boot normally. However, Disk Backup is different from System Backup, because System Backup backs up partitions related to system only (system partition, system reserved partition, etc).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.