Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I am creating this thread to advise users about a situation when system restore of windows would not able to help. I had updated my network drivers once with some tool and after that, the LAN and Wi-fi became unusable. I tried system restore and nothing worked. I then stumbled upon a website in which it was written system restore does not rollback/unisntall the drivers. I had a system image so everything was ok after restoring the image.

Reactions: InnoScorpio

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
[QUOTE="SHvFl, post: 759014, member: 30916"]Does system restore ever work? Everytime i needed it i had issues making it work. Marcium reflect daily backup and disable that space wasting windows feature.[/QUOTE]

yes for me
i don't think so

Reactions: TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Good luck when the drive dies, ransomware destroys everything or simply have a broken driver.
Windows was quite capable of rolling back the wrong AMD driver, when I got the black screen at boot.
Not sure if it was SR or Last Good Know Config, but either way, it works, so no need for 3rd party software.

I will have everything restored in 10 minutes and you will be formatting.
You are talking about pros, but you should also mention cons, like how much space or resources (a valuable time, CPU, HDD stress) you have wasted for backups. I might not restore within 10 mins, I will do it within 2 hours, but I do not have to deal with any cons and I will have a spotless clean install.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Windows was quite capable of rolling back the wrong AMD driver, when I got the black screen at boot.
Not sure if it was SR or Last Good Know Config, but either way, it works, so no need for 3rd party software.

You are talking about pros, but you should also mention cons, like how much space or resources (a valuable time, CPU, HDD stress) you have wasted for backups. I might not restore within 10 mins, I will do it within 2 hours, but I do not have to deal with any cons and I will have a spotless clean install.
I don't deal with anything as the backups are done at times i don't use the system and the ssd has hundreds of TB of writes and when it finally dies it will be so old i will be begging for it to die so i have a reason to replace.
As for spotless, i have those images too when i really need to use them but i don't often do.

Taking a backup with any proper software has no cons except a price if you are paying. Other than that it's smooth sailing.

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted member 74454

System restore points are useless.

Just this week, I utilized reset built into windows 10, just to refresh my memory of it, and it actually took longer then wiping my system manually, of which I prefer the latter any day to provide a clean base to work with. Images can become corrupted, and when you find yourself facing one, you will end up formatting anyway, so why not skip the possible issues and go directly to a clean state.

Reactions: harlan4096

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
You should have roll back driver before anything else, It would save you a lot of time. Though i think that updater created the problem in the first place.
Windows as well as System Restore work great. But then again users tend to use various tools to 'help' them optimize or 'ease' OS usage, which in turn often (always) do more harm than good.
You will do well if you stay away from all those 'wondrous' cleaner-optimizer-driver updater programs.

D

Deleted member 178

But when you use them, you will have to update Windows, apps, etc, so you will end up with the same time as me. Clean setup = 100% malware free.
No, when i do a backup, my clean system is already fully configured and "vital" apps installed.
Configuring Windows is what takes most of my time, not the installation nor the updates.
So restoring a backup (10-15mn max) will always be faster than a clean install.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Tried that also but the problem did not go away.
You should have roll back driver before anything else, It would save you a lot of time. Though i think that updater created the problem in the first place.
Windows as well as System Restore work great. But then again users tend to use various tools to 'help' them optimize or 'ease' OS usage, which in turn often (always) do more harm than good.
You will do well if you stay away from all those 'wondrous' cleaner-optimizer-driver updater programs.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Configuring Windows is what takes most of my time, not the installation nor the updates.
My config takes about 5 mins, I have Windows/software setting backed up (bat/ini). I only have to attend to the browser, like login to webpages.

briangatlin5

Aug 25, 2018
I had the same issue, I had to uninstall my drivers. Glad that there's a site that share's an article about it. And fix the issue. By the way if you're looking for Windows 10 download got mine from go2top.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Unless you live under a rock, this is nothing new. No one recommends using System Restore for anything.

First thing to do is Disable System Restore, because there are superior solutions available:
  • Create a Recovery Drive (USB/Disk/ISO)
  • Create a System Image (via Control Panel/Backup and Restore (Windows 7)).
  • Reset this PC (Recovery Settings)
  • Fresh Installation (Media Creator Tool)
  • Third-party solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.