Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Tab Memory Usage
Tab Memory Usage – Add-ons for Firefox
by Jeremy Schomery
Not compatible with Firefox Quantum
Tab Memory Usage displays the amount of memory is used by each tab.

Tab Memory is a fast and lean Firefox extension to monitor tab memory usage. It displays memory usage of individual tabs next to the tab's title. Memory usage is calculated upon tab updates to prevent Firefox slowness.

For FAQs please visit addon homepage: http://mybrowseraddon.com/tab-memory.html

So from mybrowseraddon.com:
Displays memory usage of each browser tab in a color coded badge button or inside the tab titlebar.

Tab Memory Usage is a fast and lean Firefox extension to monitor tab memory usage. It displays memory usage of individual tabs next to the tab's title or as a separate toolbar button. Memory usage is calculated upon tab updates to prevent Firefox slowness. If you want to contribute to the developement of this Addon, please Fork it on GitHub, and push your changes to a named branch. Moreover, you can review all the comments made on GitHub commits.

Some of the important features about Tab Memory Usage addon are listed below. This is followed by an overview about this addon. This summary contains few words about the addon, its function and features. Next is FAQ, this section is useful to get information about how this addon works in your browser. If you couldn’t find a specific answer, please fill the bug report form in this page or the contact form in the homepage to let us know about your question. Following the FAQ, is the bug report form. It is designed to collect user feedbacks and bugs about this addon. Users can suggest improvements or feature requests through this form too. Next section is for submitting comments about this addon which uses facebook comments plugin. The last section is dedicated to reports submitted through the GitHub website. We hope the information provided in this page, could help you get all the basics you need about this addon and enable you to have a better experience with Tab Memory Usage.

3 Reasons to Use Tab Memory Usage

• Fast and lean memory calculation

• Has a very low memory and CPU footprint

• Works out of the box, no setting changes is required
Matched Content

Overview

• With the addition of various addons and extensions in the usage of modern browsers, it is imperative that a certain tool be allocated for the specific purpose of calculating the specific units of storage that is being used in the functionality of an application. Most users are unaware of data storage issues that result from the opening of too many tabs in a single browser. Multiple tabs can now be measured for the amount of memory they consume, as Mozilla Addon store has come up with an easy solution to the problem. This solution is presented in the form of Tab Memory Usage extension, which is a fast and effective Firefox extension that displays the memory use of an individual's tabs next to the tab title. This is advantageous in the way that it allows keeping "tabs" on the amount of memory being consumed by each open window, for a further management of device storage. This extension has the ability to work out-of-the-box, with little or no settings required to set its service into action. The usage of the memory is calculated on the basis of tab components and helps prevent the Firefox browser from slowing down.

Firefox uses the built-in API to determine the amount of memory being used, which is then displayed to be managed for the optimum performance of the browser. These tab statistics can allow a user to be properly aware of the memory being consumed by each specific tab, which in turn, helps the user determine the importance of the tabs. By prioritizing windows, an individual is able to free up storage and make better decisions in their analysis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- use it (Firefox 52.7.0, and Nightly (Basilisk, = FF55) since Today: gorgeous, must-have!
I have been switched in Options page: "Memory report mode": to Toolbar --> Badge

"NEW Stunning Web Pictures Gallery" page 27: 19.9 MB then 15.8 MB on Nightly, 21.4 MB then 13.1 MB on Firefox...
"Browsers and Extensions"
first page weight: on Nightly:12,9 MB...or after some little time16.8, then 13.8 MB?... On Firefox 11.9... or in some seconds15.3 MB, then 10.8 MB?
- why these fluctuations?..

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Sounds like a helpful extension. I don't care all that much about tab memory. I guess I keep too many tabs open that are on a different topic of thinking each time. What I found that helped me was The Great Suspender for Chrome. There is also a tab suspender for Firefox, and it's almost the same thing. I like that I can disable suspension for pinned permanantly in the settings or for any other open tab on right click if I choose. I set suspend for unpinned after 5 min, and it works just right for me. Possibly my favorite extension, since I keep about 20 tabs open. BTW, they even open suspended that were suspended before closing the browser...

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Nice extention Prorootect but every time I add an extension to the browser it gets more and more sluggish, I'm guessing you have a very powerful computer so you probably don't have this problem.:cry:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Nice extention Prorootect but every time I add an extension to the browser it gets more and more sluggish, I'm guessing you have a very powerful computer so you probably don't have this problem.:cry:
Hahaha Bryan, good one!
Cause I have this same problem: too many extensions in my browsers, and I see the new supplementary candidates to download on Chrome Store or Mozilla website that I found if I search...but 'm able to make the Great Purge sometimes...
On ancient Nightly (this one from 2017.11.21) have 13 add-ons - Fasterfox too, in new Nightly (and Firefox ESR) have this same number I think - it's too much, because the Nightly browser is getting slow!
... and in CENT: 15 extensions, but this browser works always quickly with this number of ext.! (recently, I don't use much Slimjet, Iron, SeaMonkey and Opera...).
- but I am willing to reduce these numbers again and again...oh uh:(
... it's not easy.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
- my computer is not so powerful, Bryan...but it works, I have already windows 7 on another computer but don't use it for now, don't have the time

- this Tab Memory Usage add-on is very useful to me

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.