Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This addon is very suitable for low specification and struggles for RAM issue.

TabMemFree saves your RAM by unloading inactive tabs
This extension is for one who has a lot of tabs hanging around without any use for a long time. It lowers Mem/CPU consumption.

When you don't use tab for some time, extension unloads it by forwarding tab to an empty page. When you activate one of unloaded tabs, extension forwards this tab back to the original page.

Faster start of Chrome with previously unloaded tabs is a nice side effect.
Inspired by BarTab add-on for Firefox.

Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I fail to see how this operates. :huh:

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually this is how it works, for example you have two tabs:

vq65qc.jpg

As you see the first tab went to a logo of TabMemFree it means the inactive tab would turn as idle in order to decrease the RAM and CPU usage and when you click that inactive tab again it restores on the original page.

Likely to be annoying but you can set the timing through options.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I've got plenty of RAM but I'm always willing to give things like this a test run. So far I would rather see the sites default favicon instead of it changing to a RAM icon. As I often have many tabs open, It would just make it easier to navigate. Perhaps dim the sites favicon in the tab to show it's enabled.

We'll see what the developer does in future updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.