1. Gaming
  2. 1080p
  3. Home
OS installed
Windows Home x64
Motherboard
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK 7C02v1E (07/19)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Noctua NH-U12S (07/19)
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC (08/19)
RAM
4x 8GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4 3200MHz CL16 (07/19)
Storage
ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD 512GB (07/19)
PSU
Seasonic M12II-520 80 Plus Bronze (11/16)
Case
Lian Li PC-7NB with 3x Noctua NF-S12A FLX@700rpm (11/16)
Monitor
24" AOC G2460VQ6 1920×1080@75Hz via DisplayPort with FreeSync (01/19)
Keyboard and Mouse
HP Wired Desktop 320K Keyboard
Logitech M330 Silent Plus (04/23)
Accessories
Notifier: Xiaomi Mi Band 4 NFC (00/22)
Headphones: Sennheiser RS170 (09/10)
Internet: 400/40 Mbps via RouterOS (05/22)
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Z (11/16)
AMD RAMDisk 20GB (Browser, Desktop = Downloads, Temp)
My computer protection

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
AMD only CPU, GPU, chipset, it is non-negotiable, besides they play nicely together.

Attachments

• Lian Li PC-7NB.JPG
    Lian Li PC-7NB.JPG
    667.1 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I want to replace my current cpu cooler with a Noctua. I've read so many good things about it. I don't know if my older Z170 board and/or case can take the D15, I have to look into it and take measurements. But I hear the brand is worth the little bit extra.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Finally, after several hiccups, the upgrade is done. The biggest issue was casued by ASUS. I ordered "ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING" plus BIOS update to support Ryzen 3rd generations. After a week, the support wrote to me, that they are unable to boot the system and there is nothing, that can be done (because ASUS sucks), so I got MSI motherboard instead and updated BIOS without CPU/GPU/RAM, a great feature really. :emoji_ok_hand:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have just replaced mouse and keyboard and while I like them personally, I am more concerned about the security.
My 11 years old Logitech mouse and keyboard were vulnerable to some exploits, the keyboard used 128-bit encryption.
I would expect HP to be security aware, keyboard dongle has S/N on it, so I guess it can be used with that keyboard only.
I wonder, what security technologies this combo uses, like a better encryption? HP does not put many details into specs.

Wireless connectivity encryption
Secure 128-bit (AES) encryption between device and receiver

Last edited:

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
How is your experience with the 580 in demanding games? I'm asking because I'm thinking about buying one. Thank you very much in advance. Best regards.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
AMD only CPU, GPU, chipset, it is non-negotiable, besides they play nicely together.

Hello,

You have a custom PC build that has been pieced together over the years, with the last upgrade on November 19, 2023. With a budget of around $400, you're targeting gaming at 1080p resolution at home. Let's examine your current setup and explore potential upgrades:

Motherboard: The MSI B450 TOMAHAWK is a solid mid-range motherboard. While it does not support the latest Ryzen 5000 series CPUs out of the box, it's a good match for your Ryzen 5 3600.

CPU: The AMD Ryzen 5 3600 paired with the Noctua NH-U12S cooler is a strong combination for 1080p gaming and should still hold up well for current titles.

GPU: The MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC is a bit dated but can still handle 1080p gaming, although you may need to adjust settings for more demanding games to achieve smooth frame rates.

RAM: You have 32GB (4x 8GB) of ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4 at 3200MHz, which is ample and fast enough for gaming and multitasking.

Storage: The ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD with 512GB provides decent storage speed and capacity for your operating system, games, and applications.

PSU: The Seasonic M12II-520 80 Plus Bronze is an older model but should still provide stable power. However, be mindful of its age as power supplies degrade over time.

Case: The Lian Li PC-7NB with Noctua fans should offer good airflow, helping to keep your components at optimal temperatures.

Monitor: The 24" AOC G2460VQ6 supports 1080p resolution with a 75Hz refresh rate and FreeSync, which is suitable for a smooth gaming experience at this resolution.

Keyboard and Mouse: The HP Wired Desktop 320K and Logitech M330 Silent Plus are basic peripherals that, if they meet your needs, are fine to keep using.

Accessories and Extras:

• The Xiaomi Mi Band 4 NFC can be used for notifications, which is a nice convenience feature.
  • The Sennheiser RS170 headphones should still offer good sound quality for an immersive gaming experience.
  • A 400/40 Mbps internet connection via RouterOS is strong for gaming and streaming.
  • The Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card is a solid addition for enhanced audio.
  • Using an AMD RAMDisk for browser cache, downloads, and temporary files is a clever use of your abundant RAM to speed up those specific tasks.
Potential Upgrades with a $400 Budget:

1. GPU Upgrade: Your most significant improvement in gaming performance would come from a GPU upgrade. With a $400 budget, you might find a good deal on a used or even new mid-range card that would significantly boost your gaming performance. Look for models like the NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super or the AMD RX 5500 XT, which would be a substantial upgrade from the RX 580.
  2. PSU Replacement: Given the age of your PSU and if you choose to upgrade your GPU, it might be wise to allocate part of your budget to a new PSU to ensure system stability and efficiency.
  3. Storage Expansion: If you find that you're running out of storage space, you might consider adding another SSD or a larger HDD for additional storage.
  4. Peripherals Upgrade: If you have any budget left, you could consider a mechanical keyboard or a more advanced mouse to enhance your gaming experience.
Remember to prioritize upgrades that will give you the most significant performance improvement for your primary use case, which is gaming. In your case, upgrading the GPU would likely offer the best boost in gaming performance.

• Wow
Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.