Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Question

I am tech savvy enough to recognize phone scams and being retired with lots of time I like to mess with them and keep them on the phone as long as possible. I have been told by some people that this is a bad idea as there are ways scammers could retaliate. Is this true? Or is it a safe way to pass the time?

Response

I’ve always wanted to leave unwanted solicitors on hold indefinitely. But with caller ID, I don’t even bother with answering the phone for numbers I don’t recognize.

Security experts that I reached out to for a series of reader cybersecurity questions this month suggest you should do the same.

Greg Foss. Security Sperations Lead @ LogRhythm in Boulder

“Let me start by saying that this is awesome and I love it when people flip the script on scammers. However, your friends are correct and scammers could retaliate if they wanted to. Before taunting them, it’s important to note that they already have your phone number, name, and possibly other identifying information. This data could be used to cause real harm to you or your family, so it is ill-advised. That said, it all depends on what you do and how they receive it. If you’re only wasting their time, then it’s probably nothing to worry about. Now, if you are causing them harm, threatening them, or anything of that nature, I would be very cautious of retaliation.”

Connor Maden. Threat-Research Analyst @ Webroot

“Persistent sales people and/or scammers also tend to be prepared so be careful. These types of scammers are usually working off an incredibly long list of numbers that are known to answer unfamiliar calls, and will continue to sell that number to other groups, perpetuating the cycle. The best option is to decline answering calls from unrecognized numbers in the first place, as they will be less inclined to try again in the future.”

Chris Richter. Senior Vice President of Global Security Services @ Level 3 Communications

There have been reports of retaliation with the use of your name and information across scammer databases. It is best to drop the call as quickly as possible which sends the message you are not a target worthy of their time.”

Federal Trade Commission (FTC): Federal Trade Commission | Protecting America's Consumers
Guidelines to Scam callers: Phone Scams | Consumer Information
To file a complaint: - FTC Complaint Assistant

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I get lots of Telemarketers calls every day. If i hear a robot voice, i automatically end the call. If a telemarketer is actually talking, i'll warn him i'll end the call and suddenly will. Still, there are some calls that i may be interested in or would sound weird (Bank calls or anything involved with money). Those are the cases i use to extract all the info from them i need and verify they are legit (or not). Usually, i try to take as much info as i can from them, so if they are fake, i can report or post this info online and, at least, they have one less fake identity to use to scam,

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
When I kept getting calls (at home) from fake Microsoft engineers about malware on my computer, I was really rude to one person after that I was getting 5-8 per day, so I kept telling them I had an Apple iMac.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.