Tesla Driver Freaked Out After App Allows Him to Drive Off With the Wrong Car

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Owner Rajesh Randev told WaPo that earlier this month, he walked up to a nearly identical white Model 3 in Vancouver without realizing it wasn't his, used the app to unlock it, and drove around a bit before realizing that it wasn't, in fact, his car. Randev said it took him about 15 minutes of driving the stranger's Tesla to realize something was amiss: there was a crack in the windshield that hadn't been there before, and a phone charger was missing from where he usually kept his. It was around the time he noticed the missing charger cable that Randev said his phone buzzed, alerting him to a new text message from an unknown number. "Do you drive a Tesla?"

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
And nowadays, so many of the body styles look the same, the Toyota Rav4, the Honda CRV, the Nissan Rough and some of the American cars.
A lot of silver ones around here, too, that one time when I came out of the convenience store with about 5 things on my mind, I got into my silver CRV
and it just seemed a little off, and different, including the lady in the passenger seat who asked maybe if I was in the wrong car? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I got into my silver CRV and it just seemed a little off, and different, including the lady in the passenger seat who asked maybe if I was in the wrong car? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Been there, done that a few times:eek:. Unfortunately, the person in the car thought I was going to car jack him. Their reaction was so over the top, and I was actually quite upset because it was a honest mistake. Same colour car, same shape, similar model and parked right next to my car so it was a honest mistake. The second time the person just laughed, and I apologised sincerely and then got into the right car.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Been there, done that a few times:eek:. Unfortunately, the person in the car thought I was going to car jack him. Their reaction was so over the top, and I was actually quite upset because it was a honest mistake. Same colour car, same shape, similar model and parked right next to my car so it was a honest mistake. The second time the person just laughed, and I apologised sincerely and then got into the right car.
Thank you..I'm not alone :) And that was my case too, I parked, went in, and that car had pulled into the empty spot next to me when came out. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.