App Review TeslaCrypt 2 0 vs CryptoMonitor Pro

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
It would be nice to know why he has stopped CryptoMonitor, and made it free. Especially when people have paid. That is a terrible result, for software he claims to stop all crypto ransomware.

Reactions: Moose

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I actually know the answer to that one! The author is in the process of coding a new build, obviously aware of the current flaws. I suppose credit must be given to him for doing this. Even better would be removing the "CryptoMonitor - Stop all known crypto-ransomware before it encrypts your data" type statements on advertising.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
This piece of software might have been able to stop all past known cryptolockers but the new ones are really changing and evolving so fast that the software might not be able to keep up with the new ways of encrypting.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This was actually my third hatchet-job on CryptoMonitor, the previous two also yielded poor results. Personally I think the authors entire protection thesis is flawed. I'll be posting one more TeslaCrypt video tomorrow, this one vs CryptoPrevent for a comparison.

Reactions: Moose and Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
This was actually my third hatchet-job on CryptoMonitor, the previous two also yielded poor results. Personally I think the authors entire protection thesis is flawed. I'll be posting one more TeslaCrypt video tomorrow, this one vs CryptoPrevent for a comparison.
Well said, do I need CryptoPrevent with Comodo? I have made the changes you suggested for Comodo - thank you for the explanation.

P.S. I wish I had your knowledge on malware and the internet.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations, Friends!

Can you run CyptoPrevent and Comodo Firewall together for preventing crypto -malware from installing! Like a layering effect?

Kind regards,

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
Salutations, Friends!

Can you run CyptoPrevent and Comodo Firewall together for preventing crypto -malware from installing! Like a layering effect?

Kind regards,
hi my humble reply for this is do not use, because you have already configured comodo to do this job so redundancy, i think you already know keep one thing configured properly according to your paranoia. comodo providing layer of approach if you configure it properly so utlise it correctly so you do not need other things to assist comodo.

Reactions: cruelsister

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
As much as I credit him for trying to come up with innovative techniques to stop crypto type malware, it must be noted that his techniques are largely unproven. I am largely skeptical about his protection methods, but let's give him some time to improve before deciding the worth of his software.

His features:
Entrapment protection - I forsee several problems here. Firstly, what happens if the malware encrypts your other files first before touching the dummy files? Either by chance or otherwise, you would still end up with several encrypted files.
Process injection check- Could work. But then many AVs do this too
Count protection - well, might work, but there are many challenges with this approach. Do note that the software uses heuristics to determine if a program is monitored. So, in my view this component is simply a heuristics based Av.

Reactions: Tony Cole

DecrypterFixer

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2015
Hello MalwareTips members! Sorry for the delay in response, between developing a new app and a large event in personal life, things have become very crazy as of late!

I want to first respond to the issue of this thread, which is TeslaCrypt. CryptoMonitor will stop all TelsaCrypt versions as of writing this post. I have made a few videos to assist in showing this:

CuelSister, would you mind sending me your exact dropper so i can ensure that for some reason that the numerous droppers i have tested are not in fact difference from yours? I would highly appreciate it, and it would help development :)

I would also like to take this time to discuss a few things about CryptoMonitor. CryptoMonitor was a out of the box idea i came up with when there was no applications for Ransomware out. It started as a small idea, and a even smaller development as i was the only developer. The reason it was created was to help victims, period. Even when releasing i attempted to make it free, but seeing as how i quickly found that kernel development was needed to stop most ransomware, i needed to fund it some way. This is why i created PRO and free, with PRO only having a single feature that free didnt, the ability to stop injected Ransomware. Free always attempted to do everything it could when stopping ransomware, and never simply told the user "Tough luck". The same way that a free AV without real time protection doesnt say "Tough luck" when you get a infection, it simply means the feature wasn't there.

After seeing the amount of people who needed a solution, it was clear that CryptoMonitor's current state wouldn't last forever against Ransomware. Im very glad to say that now I have much more resources than just myself to be creating this new Anti-Ransomware. And this application not only will be 100% more advanced than CryptoMonitor, it will be more advanced than any Anti-Ransomware out on the market.

Because of this Development resources for CryptoMonitor has gone extremely low to get this new application out ASAP. I will still alway respond and fix CryptoMonitor when someone brings me a Ransomware that got through it (Like this one.) But all other resources will be devoted to the new application.

I also hear and understand the members here when they say "Then you simply cannot claim to stop them all", and i agree. So tomorrow i will be adding a note on all support threads and the site that development has been ceased on the current build until the new application is out.

I would also like to bring up that CryptoMonitor will remain FREE until then, and that the current PRO customers will be the first to get the new application, and license. I also want to make sure that every customer knows that i have a no questions asked refund policy. Im not here to make things difficult, i started this to help victims of Ransomware, and that is what i will continue to do. I have made numerous decrypters over the years, many more analysis's, and other support applications. I love the Anti-Malware community as it is a very close part of my passion to what i do.

Thank you for your time, and i will answer any questions you have! I hope this clears a few things up, and i hope to see everyone give the new application the same open mind that you gave CryptoMonitor!

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks Nathan for the info, when I receive the Pro key I will install the new version. For someone who has done, what you've done alone, then all I can say is thanks for offering protection against, what today is a huge threat that can hit anyone. :)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Salutations, Friends!

Comodo Firewall, not working with Windows 10! Hopefully, they will fix soon!
Hi,

I got Comodo firewall to work flawlessly on Windows 10. It rejects the exe file but Windows will accept the Msi file.

To locate it. Open the exe installer with 7-zip and go to cis > download > installs > xml_binaries > cis, then scroll down to the bottom and select 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your Windows installation.

It will install the full suite though and if you only want the firewall you will have to go to uninstall programs and click change and then modify and change to just install firewall only.

Reboot and enjoy! :)

I'm running it with Amira perfectly. Just forgot to update my signature. :oops:

Disclaimer: I am going by memory since I am on my iPad and cannot describe the exact steps but they should be pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sloth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.