The 100 gadgets that made a difference and defined the 2010s

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The story of technology in the 2010s is the story of gadgets going from the corners of our lives to everywhere all the time. The tools to create and consume culture are omnipresent now, offering us incredible new capabilities but also demanding that we care for them more than any consumer products in history. We mind their temperamental batteries, we twist in space to improve their wireless signals, we ask them to listen to us — but not too much.
Gadgets in the 2010s were shaped first by the furious race to win the smartphone wars and then a furious race to create new kinds of hardware once it was clear that Apple, Google, and Samsung would dominate phones. And that hardware was tied to software and services like never before — every light bulb the endpoint of a cloud service, every speaker imbued with the voice of the data center’s soul.
USB-C was inflicted upon an unsuspecting public; our headphone jacks were taken away.
My favorite thing about gadgets is that they are intensely revealing: each one is a semipermanent encapsulation of a company’s trade-offs and priorities, and once they’re shipped, there’s no more PR spin or influencer marketing to hide behind. The processors are fast or they’re slow. The keyboards are reliable or they break. The battery lasts a long time or it dies.
Sometimes, the batteries explode.
And when gadgets work — when they really work — people do fantastic and unexpected things with them. So many of the gadgets on our list are important not because of what their creators wanted to accomplish, but because of what people accomplished with them. That’s always been the story of technology, and the 2010s were no different.
Gadgets are back, now and forever.
—Nilay Patel, editor-in-chief

You absolutely must read the rest ...

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Are you sure?! I've read in a few places that cassettes are following vinyl LPs in making a comeback. I am a bit skeptical though, with or without Dolby there is that hiss that even top-notch decks failed to remove well.
I don't think this is a product that pursues sound quality, but rather a player for storing records of existing old tapes. For example, somewhere in my room, there is a dancing queen with analog sound source and noise. The state including the noise is in sync with my memory at that time.
It's not for playing music, but for playing memories.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.