The Death of Intel?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Opcode- this uptick all started when AMD fired the Arch-Fool Hector Ruiz and hired Lisa Su as CEO (why do we women always have to clean up the messes from men?)

It's called 'Glass Cliff' syndrome. When your baseball or football team is failing, guaranteed you a loss, you empty your bench and give the people that don't usually play a chance to get some field time. Nevermind Merissa Mayer is rated as oen of the worst tech CEO's in history, but she inherited a total travesty of a company.

Former Yahoo! CEO on why women are ‘happy’ to take over troubled companies

I'd like nothing better than to see Intel fall into a pit and die. Selling out the company to Israel, and the Israeli Intelligence Meltdown crap should really teach companies on where they place their allegiances, shouldn't it? People need to learn who to trust and who not to trust.

I'm rooting for AMD. I hate intel, deeply. I don't even use Intel CPU's in my home anymore.. Either ARM or AMD. I'll never buy an intel based system again, that much is guaranteed. Even Intel die-hard's in the IT circles know intel sucks and is tainted goods. Look at the big players working on their own ARM clusters for servers, and prodding AMD to 'hurry up' on their top server kits. Fortinet designs and builds it's own NP/SP/CP/SOC chipsets (FortiASIC) for a reason, they aren't stupid enough to trust Intel to do it without backdooring them.

framed-legacy-generations-of-asic-chips-are-by-the-industry-awards-in-the.jpg

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
OK- Maybe the Post title as a bit too much, but just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention...

The insistence of Intel on trying to resolve the 10nm Node issue is really a major impediment for them. They've been promising a CPU based on this node for over a year and have failed to deliver. For any interested, see this from an Intel engineer:

Tiny is tough - Intel engineer comes clean about their 10nm tech lagging behind the competition

With AMD being fabless, they can utilize currently available 7nm technology from others for both GPU and CPU to clean Intel's clock.

So while currently Intel is still King of the Jungle, the lion may be loosing its teeth.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
OK- Maybe the Post title as a bit too much, but just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention...

The insistence of Intel on trying to resolve the 10nm Node issue is really a major impediment for them. They've been promising a CPU based on this node for over a year and have failed to deliver. For any interested, see this from an Intel engineer:

Tiny is tough - Intel engineer comes clean about their 10nm tech lagging behind the competition

With AMD being fabless, they can utilize currently available 7nm technology from others for both GPU and CPU to clean Intel's clock.

So while currently Intel is still King of the Jungle, the lion may be loosing its teeth.

I honestly could care less if Intel falls to AMD because as soon as AMD takes Intel's spot at the top AMD will become just the same as Intel is now, regardless if a 'woman' is leading the pack. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Whether man or woman. :cry::cry::cry: All companies and corporations change once they get to the top.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Perhaps AMD didn't want him, perhaps he can't get in line with the new direction AMD are taking.
You don't just kick a lead architect of your successful product tho. Maybe Intel offer more money and better research facilities? We don't know for sure. But I refuse to believe that AMD didn't want him.

Zen was such a big breakthrough from AMD after years of mediocrity. It put Intel in a massive pressure in CPU market as they didn't expect it would provide such great price-performance ratio. On top of that, IT world was also shocked with Spectre and Meltdown. And unfortunately Intel is the one who get the most heat out of it. Talking about adding an insult to the injury.

Intel felt the need to provide an answer to AMD's Zen. It forced them to prematurely released Skylake X in mid 2017, then Coffee Lake later that year. Too bad, because from price point, their new platforms can't directly compete with AMD's. Spectre and Meltdown discovery just made things worse for them. 2017 truly was an afwul year for Intel.

Maybe these recruitments of former AMD's key people will switch things around at Intel? Only time will tell.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
You don't just kick a lead architect of your successful product tho. Maybe Intel offer more money and better research facilities? We don't know for sure. But I refuse to believe that AMD didn't want him.

Zen was such a big breakthrough from AMD after years of mediocrity. It put Intel in a massive pressure in CPU market as they didn't expect it would provide such great price-performance ratio. On top of that, IT world was also shocked with Spectre and Meltdown. And unfortunately Intel is the one who get the most heat out of it. Talking about adding an insult to the injury.

Intel felt the need to provide an answer to AMD's Zen. It forced them to prematurely released Skylake X in mid 2017, then Coffee Lake later that year. Too bad, because from price point, their new platforms can't directly compete with AMD's. Spectre and Meltdown discovery just made things worse for them. 2017 truly was an afwul year for Intel.

Maybe these recruitments of former AMD's key people will switch things around at Intel? Only time will tell.
Time will tell indeed. However it really does look like AMD are taking the gloves off now. As I said though, all this competition can only benefit us.

D

Deleted member 65228

In my opinion, Intel is already dead and they are more alike Facebook than they may notice. I think that Facebook has been "dead" since at-least 2013 and while they are still here and making money, they die more and more with every passing day. I think that It isn't just about the income, but also about your reputation and people's opinions on the company that will determine whether it is alive or dead.

I think Intel is already dead.

. Pretty much everyone I know who've had systems built recently have gone with Ryzen.
Add me to the list.

AMD Ryzen 5 has performed immaculately for me. Including AMD SVM.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Time will tell indeed. However it really does look like AMD are taking the gloves off now. As I said though, all this competition can only benefit us.
For sure. I can speak for myself that I'm pretty much brand/company agnostic guy.
I vote with my wallet. I refuse to worship one brand/company over another.

PS: Disregard my firefox avatar. I picked it because it looks nice.

Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted member 65228

When I think of Intel, I think of Facebook. When I think of Facebook, I think of Intel. This is not a good thing.

When I think of either of them, directly or indirectly, I end up with my brain having a Meltdown and an extreme anxiety/paranoia attack shortly afterwards... This leaves me with a feeling of WannaCry and quite frankly I think both companies are really "petty eh"? In the end, I start watching the old James Bond film named 'Spectre' to try and relax for the rest of the evening.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I honestly could care less if Intel falls to AMD because as soon as AMD takes Intel's spot at the top AMD will become just the same as Intel is now, regardless if a 'woman' is leading the pack. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Whether man or woman. :cry::cry::cry: All companies and corporations change once they get to the top.
Agreed. When any company reaches at top with competition significantly behind them, they engage in anti competitive practices and screw the consumers to squeeze as much money as they can. I don't want Intel to die, I want strong competition between them all, push each other to improve their products more, that would be best for us.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Redsworm- In Technology, just like other fields, once one gets to a certain level of competence a person will get almost on a weekly basis offers to jump ship and move to another company. Although almost all can be blown off, an offer will come that just cannot be refused (trust me). Sometimes the company that makes the offer wants to utilize the knowledge of the person to whom the offer was made; sometimes they just want to set a competitor back by looting key personnel. Happens all the time.

But anyway, that article posted about Jim Keller is VERY misleading. One is led to infer that Intel stole Keller from AMD which is not the case at all. Keller actually resigned from AMD in 2015 to get a position with Tesla as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering- and this is the position that he left to join Intel. I'm sure he wanted to get out of Tesla while the getting was good...

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Redsworm- In Technology, just like other fields, once one gets to a certain level of competence a person will get almost on a weekly basis offers to jump ship and move to another company. Although almost all can be blown off, an offer will come that just cannot be refused (trust me). Sometimes the company that makes the offer wants to utilize the knowledge of the person to whom the offer was made; sometimes they just want to set a competitor back by looting key personnel. Happens all the time.

But anyway, that article posted about Jim Keller is VERY misleading. One is led to infer that Intel stole Keller from AMD which is not the case at all. Keller actually resigned from AMD in 2015 to get a position with Tesla as Vice President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering- and this is the position that he left to join Intel. I'm sure he wanted to get out of Tesla while the getting was good...
I never implying that Intel stole AMD's people. In fact, I already mentioned in one of my comments that probably Intel offer more money and promised better research facilities. I was just trying to say that maybe it's just Intel's attempt to gain some footsteps foothold after their defeat.

Honestly it's way too early to make a conclusion regarding their fate. And I'm not going to hold my breath for that. AMD themselves have shown us that they can stay alive after over a decade of domination by Intel. So it's not impossible for Intel to do the same. Regardless, I hope both will make exciting competition again in near future. Because monopoly from either one of them is bad for end users in the long term.

Edit: Changed footsteps to foothold.

Reactions: upnorth and ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Man I must have really missed the boat here. I made the mistake of reading fake news when I read ARM & AMD also had the meltdown and spectre exploits. And the whole time was wondering why nobody was calling them evil.:eek:

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 65228

Man I must have really missed the boat here. I made the mistake of reading fake news when I read ARM & AMD also had the meltdown and spectre exploits. And the whole time was wondering why nobody was calling them evil.:eek:
Apparently security researchers did manage to get Meltdown working on AMD based systems however I cannot verify. As for Spectre, one/some of the variants were applicable and affecting AMD.

Intel had it worse though, as far as I know, all of them affected Intel - there's also 'Total Meltdown' now which is post-Meltdown patch for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012, allowing write access and not just read access to a portion of kernel memory.

Reactions: upnorth

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This is just hitting the news- ripped from Intel delays 10nm chips yet again as firm suffers 'yield issues' | TheINQUIRER

Intel's first 10nm silicon was originally slated for release in late 2016, but technical challenges encountered in shrinking transistors to ever smaller scales led to the launch being delayed until 2017. The last we heard, back in September last year, Intel had once again pushed back mass production of its first 10nm 'Cannon Lake' chips until late-2018.

In a surprise to no one, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich this week confirmed that the company ramping up volume production of 10nm silicon until 2019 at the earliest. "We continue to make progress on our 10-nanometer process," Krzanich explained during the firm's earnings call on Thursday.

"We are shipping in low volume and yields are improving, but the rate of improvement is slower than we anticipated. As a result, volume production is moving from the second half of 2018 into 2019. We understand the yield issues and have defined improvements for them, but they will take time to implement and qualify."

Krzanich wouldn't clarify when in 2019 production would ramp up, noting: "We didn't say first or second half, but we'll do it as quickly as we can based on the yield.

"The transistors work. We know the performance is in line. So it's really just about getting the defects and the costs in line to where we want," he added.

This latest delay is bad news for Intel, which is already years behind its competitors with its 10nm output. AMD has already confirmed that it plans to run its second and third generation Zen architecture x86 microprocessors on 7nm, while TSMC has already started production of its first 7nm silicon.

Still, while bad news for the company, Intel reported stronger-than-expected first quarter results on Thursday fueled by growth of its data centre and Internet of Things businesses which saw an increase of revenues of 24 per cent and 17 per cent, respectively.

Intel's Client Computing Group saw just three per cent growth to $8.2bn, due to stagnant PC sales, but the firm said it saw strong demand for its 8th-gen Intel Core i9 processor.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Yep, Intel seems to have problems with enough yields on their 10nm chips. But considering the amount of Intel fanboys i don´t think Intel is going anywhere some time soon and i hope they don´t.
Competition is good for prices and further development!

I´m still on an old Xeon X5680 cpu that still is enough for my need´s.
But since i don´t have any "flavor" in who produces my CPU i´d def. go for an Ryzen 2700x or an TR 1900x if i were to get new hardware! Want many cores not high single corespeed.

Reactions: frogboy and ZeroDay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.