The Great Firewall of... Britain? UK cyber security chief plans new measure to block attacks

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Could a firewall protect British organizations against cyber-attacks? GCHQ, the UK's communications surveillance agency, certainly seems to think so.

Ciaran Martin, head of GCHQ's new National Cyber Security Centre, which officially opens next month, outlined his proposal this week for a British firewall.

As The Guardian reports, its main purpose would be to protect government sites and digital services, along with other industries and organizations considered essential for national security. But GCHQ is said to be keen to extend availability to other major corporations in the private sector, in an effort to provide greater security for some of the country's largest businesses.

But given that GCHQ has - like America's NSA - been closely linked with allegations of indiscriminate surveillance, and of invading the privacy of innocent citizens in the name of national security, some organizations and individuals may well balk at the idea of their cyber security being so closely intertwined with the UK agency and its planned firewall.

According to Martin, around 200 UK cyber security incidents are detected each month by GCHQ, a figure that has doubled in just one year. While his plan is still only a proposal in its earliest stages, Martin said that a 'flagship project' like this would help to protect British citizens and organizations from exposure to digital threats.

Source: The Guardian

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I think this is an innovative and creative way to protect the people.
The issue you run into here is "is it going to be used for "Out going" traffic as well ?
As long as it is only protecting incoming traffic this may well be a very good idea.
A cyber-Net :) I think this is bold I like that they may give this a whirl.
I refuse to comment on the "Privacy Issues" portion I'm tired of the fear-mongering
that's associated with it, and won't further it.
Awesome share Exterminator ;)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I voted yes for the same reasons stated above by @_CyberGhosT_
However I am not from Great Britain so it would be nice to here from some fellow members who live there.
I know this will bring some privacy concerns as it does in the US with the NSA however I am not worried about it here in the US so this would not be a concern of my if I lived in Great Britain.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Brit sheep here:cool: After all, our Isles are full of 'em!

Would be interesting to see what actually happens if this actually gets implemented. As some of you may know, there are only a few locations where the undersea cables run, such as the Transatlantic Apollo North OALC-4 SPDA cable that runs off the coast of Cornwall, so easy enough to implement such a national 'firewall'. Yes privacy may well be a concern but we'll have to wait and see if it ever happens first.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.