Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
treasure-map.jpg

Newly exposed Snowden documents reveal the NSA’s in-depth plan to “map the entire Internet — any device, anywhere, all the time.”

According to a report published today by German news publication Der Spiegel, the NSA and its British counterpart, GCHQ, “[aim] to map the Internet, and not just the large traffic channels, such as telecommunications cables. It also seeks to identify the devices across which our data flows, so-called routers.” The program “allows for the creation of an ‘interactive map of the global Internet’ in ‘near real-time,'” the report said.

This program, dubbed “Treasure Map,” was first revealed late last year by the NY Times. But at the time, intelligence officials apparently told the NY Times that Treasure Map “is not used for surveillance…but to understand computer networks.”

However, Der Spiegel‘s report details how the Treasure Map program plays a far more aggressive role. The program apparently aids in “Computer Attack/Exploit Planning,” offering “a kind of battlefield map for cyber warfare,” the report said. Among the programs targets are Deutsche Telekom, the owner of T-Mobile, and Netcologne, another German telecommunications company.

Der Spiegel’s report suggests that the program enables the NSA to “monitor the networks of these companies,” watch “data that travels through them,” and spy on “the end devices of their customers.”

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
This looks like a really bad thing to happen.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
- I don't understand those that tremble as if they were mad?
Tell me, if an FBI agent watches and lives in your house and watches you. How would you feel when he follows you to your office, when he follows you while you return from your kids' school? We are NOT doing anything wrong. But WE DO NOT NEED TO BE WATCHED. I don't need some guy in mask telling me I am not doing anything wrong ,for the sake of my privacy, I am a computer scientist and work for an almost Google-like corporation.

Last edited:

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Nsa just want to control the whole internet. i never feel saver nsa is watching us, im more worry about it.

Reactions: frogboy

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah. I've social anxiety and the thought that my every search and my every keystroke is being read, just scares the devil out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.