The perfect user manual .... ?

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I've been road-testing Linux MX-16 recently and I saw this in their user manual :-

Need for manuals.png

It has kind of stuck in my head since I first saw it .
It's a lovely concept ( maybe a little idealistic ) , but that graphic sums it up very well .

Incidentally , MX-16 is well worth a spin , in my opinion .
It sounds like some high-tech weapon system ( which is maybe unfortunate )
If memory serves it's a fork from AntiX , which had quite a following of it's own , back in the day .

It is super-light , lean and mean , and yet very user friendly ,with pretty much everything you need
to get started , already bundled in .
The iso is ~ 1.2 GB and there's a clean download here .

It runs as smooth as silk on old hardware , in VMs , and live off a USB stick .

Post back if you try it , or post back even if you don't ...... :)

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Proper documentation is one of the prime challenges of software development - and a rather arduous task at times.

A developer always has first-hand access to the source code and can at any time read through it to test the function of his software.

The end-users of the software however, do not. Documentation is the gateway to the proper understanding of the software.

A major example are the often overlooked MSDN and Technet. Microsoft has put a lot of effort into those, and it is no coincidence that they did so. They are the primary resource for developers, about the Windows ecosystem.

In any case, I do believe that the lack of a manual is far better than the presence of a badly written one, as it only breeds more problems, questions and confusion.

As for the distro itself, I may install it on a USB drive (full installation). Seems light enough to make a good bootable flash drive. :D

Reactions: Myriad

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Proper documentation is one of the prime challenges of software development - and a rather arduous task at times.

A developer always has first-hand access to the source code and can at any time read through it to test the function of his software.

The end-users of the software however, do not. Documentation is the gateway to the proper understanding of the software .....

Oh , I agree most strongly .

I have done some technical writing myself in the past , and it is a thankless task IMO .

It is not well paid , and there will always be somebody who isn't satisfied with your work .
It's one of those things that is so easy to specify and define , yet almost impossible to achieve in the real world :-

" Write clear , concise , unambiguous text that ' the majority of readers ' will understand ."

I have also done a fair bit of technical translation , and if you are looking for satisfaction and appreciation in your work ,
and wealth , and joy .... then look elsewhere !

That came out sounding a bit cynical .... sorry :)

And that's why the screenie from the MX-16 manual made me smile .

Just my 2 piasters worth ....

Last edited:
Reactions: DracusNarcrym

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.