Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
On October 10 2016, I decided to purchase a genuine Windows 10 copy. While I was searching for the best deal, our Admin suggested to try eBay where I can get a great deal for price. It was my first level of trust in eBay as it was recommended by our Admin but he also did warn me about fake sellers and instead look for a seller who have some good feedback.

Some how I found a seller from eBay.co.uk who was selling keys for $8 USD and decided to make an order. Before that I raised questions to the seller to confirm whether its genuine and retail copy. The seller took some while to reply but came up with the reply that the license which is sells is genuine and retail. Unfortunately I couldn't make a deal because my Debit Card didnt support international transaction as well as PayPal integration. So with this failure I started peeping through eBay.in an Indian eBay platform where I could find some sellers.

zag521
was the seller who attracted me with his Rs. 1050 offer for a Windows 10 Pro Retail key.

I mailed the seller to confirm from him the details. He replied quick with positive answer. I decided to purchase the product. By the time I ordered, he removed his listings from eBay. I raised a mail for this act and he replied immediately with a new eBay.in product page. Yes it was genuine and purchased the product by making the payment.

After around 30 min, he delivered me the serial Key and the download link. As I had kept my OS freshly installed I inserted the key and activated it successfully. Initially I was happy, but that didnt stop me to know whether my key was Retail or OEM .
To find out myself whether the purchased key was OEM or Retail I ran a command in the command prompt. The command was..
Code:
slmgr -dli

I found that that the key was Volume_MAK instead of Retail. I came to know what would Volume MAK keys mean by @BoraMurdar , @Jack and Microsoft Chat Agent.

For your convenience I will post the complete chat between me and Ritwik D of Microsot chat help desk.
Ritwik D
Microsoft Answer Tech

Ritwik D
Thanks for contacting Microsoft support, my name is Ritwik D.
12:27 am

Me
Hi im Purshotham.
12:27 am

Ritwik D
Hello, Purshotham. How may I help?
12:28 am

Me
Well, i have purchased a Windows 10 key from eBay, it jas been activated successfully. It's a Volume Mak edition. All I wanted to know is, can we transfer the key to different computer if we switch our Pc? I know we can do it in Retail, but im not sure in Volume Edition. Can you let me know about it?
12:28 am

Ritwik D
Purshotham, you can transfer the license to a different PC but there are chances you will see an error saying that this key is already being used on another PC. If so, you will need to contact us and we will connect you to the volume license service center since we do not have the resources that are required to help volume license customers.
12:32 am

Ritwik D
But volume licensing service center will deny support since you do not have a volume licensing agreement with Microsoft.
12:33 am

Ritwik D
That is where you will face the problem.
12:33 am

Me
Thanks for the reply. And what if I wanted to reinstall the Os in the same Pc. That must go well and firm right?
12:35 am

Ritwik D
That is right. That should not cause any problem unless the seller hasn't sold the same key to other people which is very likely. We see such cases everyday.
12:36 am

Me
So how can I determine whether there are other computers bound to the same key?
12:38 am

Ritwik D
Can you tell me how many times you have used the key so far?
12:38 am

Me
Only once. Today I activated it.
12:39 am

Ritwik D
Okay. Give the key to me. Let me check the total number of activations.
12:39 am

Me
Sure. One moment.
12:40 am

Ritwik D
Okay.
12:41 am

Me
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Ritwik D
One minute please.

Me
Sure

Ritwik D
Windows 10 Pro. Has been used twice so far.
12:42 am

Me
So how many devices can be activated by it?
12:43 am

Me
Is it good to dispute charges over the seller?
12:44 am

Ritwik D
Purshotham, honestly, the department that I work in supports consumer products only. I don't have much knowledge about volume licenses. The volume licensing team would be able to address these queries. But like I mentioned earlier, they will deny support if you do not have a volume licensing agreement.
12:45 am

Ritwik D
It is a very good dispute charge.
12:45 am

Ritwik D
These people who sell such keys have MSDN subscriptions. They sign up as Microsoft product developers and avail these keys at huge discounts and sell them to consumers which they are not supposed to do.
12:47 am
After this long chat I decided to claim for a proper key and I mailed the seller. The seller initially tried to dodge my query saying
Ok sir, i think your product have successfully installed, so whether it's volume or retail please keep the license key safe in order to get lifetime updates/reuse. Now please confirm the item is received in bought with PaisaPay section.
I yelled at his answer and demanded for a new Retail key and I also explained him what Retail Keys actually mean. So he replied.
Hello sir thank you explanation of keys difference now i understand and i am ready to give you the retail key but can you tell me the exact which version are you installed like Windows 10 Pro or Windows Pro 10 N or Windows 10 Pro KN and also x86 or x64.
I stated him clearly that I have Windows 10 Pro.He then sent me another Key. Now I changed the key in my computer and checked it genuine status. I was activated and it was a Retail Key.

So friends there is lot of Hoax in the internet but always question and doubt everything in the internet unless you get the right answer.

Thankyou:)

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
@venustus Sorry to hear (read) that! Did Ebay revert the charges? 100% Buyer Protection in effect?
Thanks!
I don't recall the specifics but he did not get the money back!
I don't know why.
He was running a part time online pet accessory business at the time.
Since then he has been more careful with online transactions,although you can never be too carefull!!

D

Deleted member 2913

ebay.in - India online shopping - I haven't done shopping with this site yet.

I have done shopping with Flipkart & Amazon India And experience was good.
Flipkart has Flipkart Advantage seller i.e you will see Flipkart Advantage seller badge with sellers name.
Similarly Amazon India has Amazon Fulfilled seller.
Guess certain conditions have to be met So kinda trusted sellers And I always look for the sellers with badge And had good experience everytime.

ebay.in have such thing like badge sellers?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
ebay.in have such thing like badge sellers?
I'm not sure about that because that was my first purchase and I knew only few rules before my purchase. The vital one was look for sellers feedback by the customers so that u can atleast if he is being there for some while. Indeed have seen some wearing as "Top rated seller" badges.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Remember two things:
1. What's too good to be true is most probably not true.
2. Whatever online shopping site says about money back guarantee, you will have to work hard to get your money back. Though money goes out from you easily its return is a very tough act.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.