App Review TheIgster - Avira Free Testing

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Surprisingly bad result for Avira. After the user clicked Remove I didn't saw the quick scan pop-ing up. Wasn't it supposed to appear after every detection?

G

Guest28

bogdan said:
Surprisingly bad result for Avira. After the user clicked Remove I didn't saw the quick scan pop-ing up. Wasn't it supposed to appear after every detection?

i hate it when they do the second scan thing. no other av does it why should they?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
ryan said:
i hate it when they do the second scan thing. no other av does it why should they?
And it performs the scan even after it detects something trivial like the eicar test (the scan is obviously not needed in this case). For the average user that doesn't gets malware every day this might not be a big thing though.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
This has always been the problem with Avira. Throughout all these years I have seen and heard about stuff like this and Avira. They are always #1 in reviews and detection rates. AV Comparatives always has them at the top along with other sites. But when it comes to real time malware and or real life malware it fails. Remember Matt's video last year where he had that pc so heavily infected it would not even boot? It had Avira on it. Yes nothing is perfect but this is pathetic.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
As far as I remember on AV-Comparative Avira is often tested with changes to the default settings required by the company: heur. set to high and detection of packed executables removed/ignored.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Wonder the new version will had but they post about looking for beta testers.
More Info

Some stated that it will be in Sep or Oct, If that happens then they must fix the problems and release a program with the fixes and improvements.
Link

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Avira is a basic antivirus......It can't really protect a PC as a standalone in the real world.....and in a test like this will fail....Same problem with MSE....Avast seems to be on the right path ... :D

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Jack said:
Avira is a basic antivirus......It can't really protect a PC as a standalone in the real world.....and in a test like this will fail....Same problem with MSE....Avast seems to be on the right path ... :D

You're dam right. but who of CIS and MSE1 got AV-Test certificate? MSE1.0... no ones why but CIS blocked all malware

soruce link

Attachments

• avtest_report_comodo_104836.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 555

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
This isn't about CIS or MSE. CIS can only block malware if you make the right choice. Other then that its useless. CIS's biggest downfall is that it involves too much user interaction.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
That is a problem with HIPS, in general. A novice user can be "tricked" into ignoring HIPS pop-ups. A good AV will block the threat and quarantine it automatically. Even if it prompts the user with a warning: "This file is infected", I'm sure that most users will choose not to run it. So AV-s are still needed (even for prevention). I don't expect an AV to block all malware, but I certainly expect it to block most of it.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Dieselman said:
This isn't about CIS or MSE. CIS can only block malware if you make the right choice. Other then that its useless. CIS's biggest downfall is that it involves too much user interaction.

They are only examples. I just wanted to say that they gave a certificate to AV that won't protect the user at all while a IS will protect the user that has no certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.