Thingol's eclectic shared security cinfig

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Nice Config, just have a few quirks:
1. Need at least a light primary AV, all you have is Appguard and Sandboxie.
2. Why 3 Ad blockers at the same time? You have full Adguard, Adguard extension, and Adblock Plus running at the same time?!:eek::confused:

Thats It :)

Thingol

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
Nice Config, just have a few quirks:
1. Need at least a light primary AV, all you have is Appguard and Sandboxie.
2. Why 3 Ad blockers at the same time? You have full Adguard, Adguard extension, and Adblock Plus running at the same time?!:eek::confused:

Thats It :)
Cheers, yeah I can see that perspective.

I've been AV free for along time. SBIE restrictions mean things can only write to places that AppGuard protects so OD scanners are fine.

Should have been clearer. Adblockers are in different browsers. Adguard for IE, AdGuard extention in FF and uBlock/HTTP SB in chrome.

Regards

Chris

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Cheers, yeah I can see that perspective.

I've been AV free for along time. SBIE restrictions mean things can only write to places that AppGuard protects so OD scanners are fine.

Should have been clearer. Adblockers are in different browsers. Adguard for IE, AdGuard extention in FF and uBlock/HTTP SB in chrome.

Regards

Chris
If you already paid for Adguard for IE, you can use it for other browsers. It's a multi-browser app. I don't use it because it slow down connection, but just saying...

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
You should add NVTERP. :) AppGuard + NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro + Sandboxie would be a great combo!

Thingol

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks All,

@King Mellow. I have done in the past but a bit of redundancy with AG & NVT. Testing the latest ERP beta (it just keeps getting better) so might well do so again going forward.

Cheers

Chris

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thingol, King of Doriath and High King of the Sindar..;) Thank you for sharing your wonderfully fortified configuration. I liked the script blocking to ensure that "None shall pass!!".:cool: These opening chapters hint at your becoming a well known member quite soon. I'll look forward to reading more.:D

Reactions: Thingol and vrb93

Thingol

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
Been away for over a year hope folks don't mind me returning. Been trying to kick my security fetish by moving to Linux for the past while but Windows 10 has tweaked my interest again.

Went through all the latest windows security issues in VMs over the period but not posted because it wasn't real world. Back to Windows now but as I'm struggling with my 'go to' set-up of SBIE and whatever tweaks my fancy I'll keep trying and posting findings.

Once I find something that works I'll likely move on but should be fun meantime.

For now it is HMP Alert, AppGaurd and combinations of Adguard, uBlock Origin/Matrix and NoScript depending on browser.

As always you guys seem to have the most interesting forum. Keep it up!

Cheers

H

hjlbx

Been away for over a year hope folks don't mind me returning. Been trying to kick my security fetish by moving to Linux for the past while but Windows 10 has tweaked my interest again.

Went through all the latest windows security issues in VMs over the period but not posted because it wasn't real world. Back to Windows now but as I'm struggling with my 'go to' set-up of SBIE and whatever tweaks my fancy I'll keep trying and posting findings.

Once I find something that works I'll likely move on but should be fun meantime.

For now it is HMP Alert, AppGaurd and combinations of Adguard, uBlock Origin/Matrix and NoScript depending on browser.

As always you guys seem to have the most interesting forum. Keep it up!

Cheers

@Thingol

You and I have almost identical security config. I am staying away from W10 for now. W10 not ready and soft vendors not ready for W10, A real "Catch-22."

Thingol

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
Swapped out AppGuard for Smart Object Blocker largely because it is challenging me to get the configs right so keeping me interested.

I'm finding things in the security software world, other than SOB, really boring at present. There seems to have been nothing new to tinker with for ages. Sure there are new products and updates to existing but other the advent of AE like HMPA and MBAE new products seem to be clones of others and small incremental updates are only tweaking what's already there.

SOB on the other hand seems to have endless possibilities. Reminding me of the early days with SBIE when new ways of using it and more flexible options seemed to come almost every release (now Invincea seem to have no choice other than to fire-fight compatibility issues constantly rather than develop the software unfortunately).

Cheers

H

hjlbx

Swapped out AppGuard for Smart Object Blocker largely because it is challenging me to get the configs right so keeping me interested.

I'm finding things in the security software world, other than SOB, really boring at present. There seems to have been nothing new to tinker with for ages. Sure there are new products and updates to existing but other the advent of AE like HMPA and MBAE new products seem to be clones of others and small incremental updates are only tweaking what's already there.

SOB on the other hand seems to have endless possibilities. Reminding me of the early days with SBIE when new ways of using it and more flexible options seemed to come almost every release (now Invincea seem to have no choice other than to fire-fight compatibility issues constantly rather than develop the software unfortunately).

Cheers

Put in request for ReHIPS beta testing. Development is slow, but it appears, at least to me, they are being methodical about it.

Form link @ upper right:

ReHIPS

It will take a few days to get a reply.

They are developing closed beta program.

ReHIPS has a lot of potential. So it is worthy of good beta testing and feedback.

Reactions: Thingol and Moose

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.