Hot Take TikTok screen time limit for teenagers, as government ban looms

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A one-hour daily TikTok screen time limit will be set by default for users below 18 years of age, says the company. The move coincides with the White House setting a 30-day deadline for federal employees to remove the app from government devices. TikTok has come under increasing fire in the US, on a number of fronts. There are fears that it could be used by the Chinese government as a propaganda or disinformation tool, to interfere with American politics. Some have expressed concern about how much China could learn about US citizens through their video preferences. More generally, there are worries about how much time teenagers spend using social media apps, and the impact that may have on their mental health – especially that of teen girls.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

A one-hour daily TikTok screen time limit will be set by default for users below 18 years of age, says the company.
Kids will find multiple ways to get around this.

More generally, there are worries about how much time teenagers spend using social media apps, and the impact that may have on their mental health – especially that of teen girls.
Everything they see and learn through social media apps is making them more and more weird, and sicker.

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Kids will find multiple ways to get around this.

Everything they see and learn through social media apps is making them more and more weird, and sicker.
Sure, very true and at this point in time this is a commercial move or should I say political move on TicToks part but if the social media networks could get together on this I think it would be a very good move, what are the odds is the question, could happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 98186

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
We are dinosaurs though. You have to look at it from a young person's point of view. Kids don't use IRC, MSM or web forums anymore like we used to back in the day. They don't look to movie stars or sport stars as much as they used to as well. Social media is the way young people interact and socialize and it's how (sadly) they get their information and education. It's just the evolution of the internet and culture, but there are some serious problems with social media that need to be addressed.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Social media is the way young people interact and socialize and it's how (sadly) they get their information and education.
They are the "My worldview, beliefs, ideology, way of living have been derived from the 10 second Google search" generation.

There is much research and published studies that prove social media results in many harms to the individual and society.

[
tumblr_inline_o3dtvyUWur1t2dm81_500.gif
/SPOILER]

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
There is much research and published studies that prove social media results in many harms to the individual and society.
Yes, off course it does harm. But what's the alternative? Ban it? We all know prohibition, introducing laws and making things illegal never works.

There does need to be oversight and regulations. How that looks I'm not sure! But in 5 years' time we will be complaining about the new trend and how young people have got dumb, show no respect and how much misinformation there is out there. If we wait it out hopefully a better platform will come, if not we at least tried but the people want what the people want.

• Applause
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

The US is afraid of a popular chinese social media app for the young?

:rolleyes:
The whole TikTok and WeChat scuzzlebutt was started by Trump - as part of his obnoxious, retaliatory negotiation tactics.

The US government does not care what youngsters do on TikTok. It is disallowing TikTok app on US government employee and subcontractor phones. Different US agencies also ban fitness apps, GPS apps, social media apps, games, video recording, voice recording, and a lot of other apps.

For certain devices that comply with National Security requirements - absolutely no apps are permitted except for general communication apps like email. Certain "National Security" phones are very highly modified Android phones. These aren't the ones that the US Presidents send out Tweets on.

All that said, ultimately - in the worst case scenario - I do not think it is secure for the Chinese govt and people to use US-made software and I do not think that it is secure for US govt and citizens to use Chinese-made software. But what can we do? The world is globalized and everybody is dependent upon things created or manufactured somewhere else, under a govt that might use those goods for geopolitical and espionage purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The whole TikTok and WeChat scuzzlebutt was started by Trump - as part of his obnoxious, retaliatory negotiation tactics.
It was actually his awareness of the possible ramifications of the Chinese National Intelligence Law of 2017, especially Sections 7 and 11 that require the collection of software and 5G data to be fed to the Farms. Sadly everyone else were blissfully unaware (so much easier and more profitable to be ignorant).

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
These comments still surprise me. Trump has been out of office for over 2 years, but still lives large in so many heads,

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

These comments still surprise me. Trump has been out of office for over 2 years, but still lives large in so many heads,
lol, I never said I disagreed with his methods. All I did was state "Trump" and "as part of his obnoxious, retaliatory negotiation tactics" and you just automatically assumed I was bashing Trump. What I said about him is a statement of fact.

It was his stated Presidential agenda and policy to be obnoxious and aggressive towards China. He was a US President. So talking about him and stating the facts about him is hardly letting him "large in so many minds." Trump is now a part of the historical record.

I voted for Tayyip Erdogan. I will again.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
And his administratiion stance toward China worked. For the years he was in office, they were quiet, as was Russia, Iran, and even the lunatic in North Korea. Or is it better to have a president with dementia in office, and be on the brink of WW3?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.