Timmytour Config

Timmytour

Thread author
Aug 2, 2012
I'm using a HP Elitebook 6930p. Originally it was a laptop for work but the very smallstart up company I used to work for did not make it...I was allowed to keep the laptop. There's probably quite a bit of stuff on it that I no longer need!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I see that you can put Windows 7 on it, why not put that on it?

Also you could add Google Chrome and Firefox with the addons WOT, Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

For an AV, I would suggest Avast Free, Comodo Internet Security.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I recommend you upgrade to windows 7 or wait a few months and buy Windows 8. Because Windows XP will be dropped of support after 1 1/2 years.

And I recommend you install Malwarebytes Antimalware for and on demand scanner (it could help remove that rogue) and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Microsoft Security Essentials does not have great protection, I recommend that you uninstall Microsoft security essentials and get avast free antivirus or AVG free edition.

For a browser I recommend you get Google Chrome, or Mozzila FireFox.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
As others said above, I recommend that you update to windows 7 as windows XP is going to lose its support in 1 1/2 years.

I HIGHLY recommend that you replace Microsoft Security Essentials with Avast 7 Free, Avira Free, or Comodo Internet Security.

If you want to go for a paid solution, here are the ones I like:
Bitdefender Internet Security
Kaspersky Internet Security
Norton Internet Security

You should add some On demand Scanners:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Hitman Pro
Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free

I would replace IE with any of these browsers:
Comodo Dragon
Firefox
Google Chrome

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.