Tinman's Config

Any programs I am lacking for protection ?

• yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • not really

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Tinman

Thread author
Oct 13, 2014
All above items are all current except IE9 (need to check, just keep around in case FF has problem ie- local library doesn't like FF for it's EULA page to accept, then close IE ), most are auto updated . AV scans Weekly to Biweekly , Anti Spyware covered by SAS realtime and also run MBAM and Glarys monthly - Bimonthly, SAS every few months ( MBAM finds more, but still run SAS on demand 2-3 x's a year)
WinPatrol is my Monitor Program.
AV I review every year with 2 Ind. Tests and pick the top in overall performance, Typ -Avast, Avira, AVG, etc Low FPos w High Det Rate w High Removal.

I have several tools and that type not installed but downloaded in case of infection.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Tinman, you were my favorite character from "The Wizard of Oz"!;)

Thank you for sharing your configuration.
You've a lot of nice choices of quality software which I also share using including Avast!, CCleaner, WinPatrol, and MBAM!:p

Even if you do not use IE often, it's still a good idea to update to version 11+ through Windows updates. Also, you should
  1. <click> on the tools symbol (it looks like a cog)
  2. > select internet options
  3. >> choose the security tab
  4. >>> near the bottom of the window check the box "Enable protected mode" (under the security level slide control)
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free protects your browsers and apps.
Sandboxie Free provides a virtual copy of the browser inside an isolation "sandbox". This ensures all changes and effect exposed to your browser remain temporary, lasting only as long as you keep the sandbox open. Deleting a sandbox removes all changes & additions performed by the browser. This keeps your system clean, and also allows you to test drive browser add-on extensions before choosing to keep them. Updates & security patches you wish to keep must be done outside the sandbox.
Update your Adblock Plus subscriptions regularly (under options) & consider either having recovery discs handy or creating an actual image of your system's operating system with a program like Macrium Reflect.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
thanks for sharing and i believe your config is good. maybe you should add a password manager to secure your passwords when you are onkine;)
welcome to the forum

Reactions: Tinman

Tinman

Thread author
Oct 13, 2014
I would say to remove SAS free and Mcafee , and add emsisoft emergency or hitman pro.
btw , its hard to find a vista user nowadays

Thanks, Already UI McAfee and SAS is next . Been updating regular programs today . HP i believe I've DL but not installed yet, thought it was more if I got severely infected , but will research more.

Tinman

Thread author
Oct 13, 2014
thanks for sharing and i believe your config is good. maybe you should add a password manager to secure your passwords when you are onkine;)
welcome to the forum
Thanks for your feedback :)
Will familiarize myself with them. Thought it more of a convenience in case of bad memory . Lol

Reactions: tonibalas

Tinman

Thread author
Oct 13, 2014
Hello Tinman, you were my favorite character from "The Wizard of Oz"!;)

Thank you for sharing your configuration.
You've a lot of nice choices of quality software which I also share using including Avast!, CCleaner, WinPatrol, and MBAM!:p

Even if you do not use IE often, it's still a good idea to update to version 11+ through Windows updates. Also, you should
  1. <click> on the tools symbol (it looks like a cog)
  2. > select internet options
  3. >> choose the security tab
  4. >>> near the bottom of the window check the box "Enable protected mode" (under the security level slide control)
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free protects your browsers and apps.
Sandboxie Free provides a virtual copy of the browser inside an isolation "sandbox". This ensures all changes and effect exposed to your browser remain temporary, lasting only as long as you keep the sandbox open. Deleting a sandbox removes all changes & additions performed by the browser. This keeps your system clean, and also allows you to test drive browser add-on extensions before choosing to keep them. Updates & security patches you wish to keep must be done outside the sandbox.
Update your Adblock Plus subscriptions regularly (under options) & consider either having recovery discs handy or creating an actual image of your system's operating system with a program like Macrium Reflect.

Thank you , Didn't know of Anti Exploit . Prot Mode Enabled . And have used a sandbox with an AV before but wasn't sure I was too keen on it . But that was a few years ago . Shall try again . ;-)

S

Sr. Normal

Hi.
You have a very interesting architecture .
Avast Pro , ZoneAlarm , Vista ... I think I've ever seen these three together.
I really like .
Kind regards

Tinman

Thread author
Oct 13, 2014
I would say to remove SAS free and Mcafee , and add emsisoft emergency or hitman pro.
btw , its hard to find a vista user nowadays
Yeah , I' have an old Dell Inspiron . Forgot to mention brand of Laptop . :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with getting rid of SAS& McAfee in favor of the other on demand scanners mentioned.
Im not a fan of PC Tune Up either.Thanks for sharing your config :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I think the guys above told you everything already. :)
Thx for sharing your configuration!

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
I agree with getting rid of SAS& McAfee in favor of the other on demand scanners mentioned.
Im not a fan of PC Tune Up either.Thanks for sharing your config :)

You mean AVG PC Tune Up or Tune Up Utilities ?
think.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.