Tommy's config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

Thread author
Feb 27, 2011
I rarely use Windows. I have a dual boot with Ubuntu so I will show you my Ubuntu config also:

Operating System: Ubuntu 64 bit.

Realtime protection: 30 trial of Dr web antivirus for Linux, and the Ubuntu firewall.

On demand scanners: None.

Web browsers: Firefox, Google Chrome, and Links.

Firefox add ons: Browser protect, and Better Privacy.

I don't see a need for a site advisor when I can use my common sense and I don't mind advertisements so I won't be needing ad block plus. I always keep my software up to date. I know how to remove infections very well. So that's about it I guess. :p

I will add more later on.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Adblock Plus spoiled me. Without it I feel that is something wrong with the Internet.

Tommy

Thread author
Feb 27, 2011
bogdan said:
Adblock Plus spoiled me. Without it I feel that is something wrong with the Internet.

Well I don't usually visit sites with alot of advertisements. I use to use Ad Block Plus but I just haven't felt the need for it. Well actually I think I might try it again.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:

Yeah...I used it when I had Firefox. The Chrome version pales in comparison. :p

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
ABP is absolutely the best :). Tommy's set up isn't that bad either, although it seems quite basic.

Tommy

Thread author
Feb 27, 2011
bunyip783 said:
ABP is absolutely the best :). Tommy's set up isn't that bad either, although it seems quite basic.

Yeah I'm trying not to over do things since I can clean up my own mess if I screw up :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
LaserWraith said:
bogdan said:

Yeah...I used it when I had Firefox. The Chrome version pales in comparison. :p

Much of the problem with the Chrome version of ABP is due to deficiencies in Chromes API. You only have as much control as an application allows you to have.

That said, ABP for Chrome is still very young. I know that Wladimir will make ABP as good as it can be in the Chrome environment.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Do you have a full system image backup just in case something goes wrong?

Tommy

Thread author
Feb 27, 2011
I use to have a system image but I'm not sure how to make a system image with a dual boot of both Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
You could image just the windows partition from ubuntu or use the Pated Magic Live CD that includes clonezilla - it may not be as easy to use or as pretty as windows disk imaging tools but it gets the job done.

The only problem that could appear if you do it from within windows, with a windows tool (well...the problem will probably appear when you restore the partition) is that your grub2 boot-loader might be overwritten. You can restore it using ubuntu live cd (how-to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.