Too many of you sleep with your phone, and it's bad for your health

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
According to the results of our recent poll, more than half of you sleep with your phone in bed with you at least some of the time. Of those who responded “No,” some still cited that they leave their phone on a nightstand nearby or beside the bed. Well, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but neither case is good for your health. Whether you are an adult or an adolescent, there’s plenty of research to support not having your phone anywhere near your bed.

Now, I know I’m not your mom. I can’t tell you what to do with your life, nor would I want to. But I can bring some peer-reviewed research to your attention which you will then have to consider and decide what to do with. If you are experiencing difficulties falling asleep, have insomnia, or can’t stay awake during the day, solid data suggests your phone may be the reason why.

For example, a systemic review of 20 studies demonstrated strong, consistent evidence of an association between bedtime access to or use of electronic devices and reduced sleep quantity and quality, and increased daytime sleepiness. That means if your phone is within arm’s reach of your bed, you are more likely to sleep less deeply and for a shorter amount of time. Ultimately, this impacts your cognitive performance during the day. To be clear, these results occurred even if the participants didn’t use their phones in bed. The mere presence of a phone in the bedroom increased the odds of detrimental sleep outcomes.

For more information:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This article title could come across as misleading or be taken out of context.

It's more about an unhealthy addiction causing harm to your sleep health, than actual health risks caused directly by the phone's internals.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
This article title could come across as misleading or be taken out of context.

It's more about an unhealthy addiction causing harm to your sleep health, than actual health risks caused directly by the phone's internals.
yeah that article is extremely click baity. It's as with everything that you do before sleep it doesn't have to be a phone. Even reading a book before falling asleep can affect your sleep quality. It's about sleep hygiene and not a device that's next to you. Extremely misleading title.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
My phone sits on a table in my living room 90% of the time, I refuse to keep it in my bedroom at night. I want to wind down before bed not get all wound up looking at a phone.;)

Edit: Also why no TV in my bedroom.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Usually it is beside my pillow or sometimes I sleep on it and only after I wake up I come to know why the alarm didn't go off!

• HaHa
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
True. But harm to your sleep could lead to worse health.
So are many other types of Addictions, they have an adverse affect on one's health if not kept in checked.

What I was trying to say is a Phone's WiFi 6 does not cause cancer and 5G isn't the source for the Corona Virus.

Reactions: Stopspying

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Similar here, it is usually left in another room to the bedroom, often switched off, as I don't want something like a text alert at 3 am from someone who is in a very different time zone and has forgotten that fact.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.