Showcase Topped out with a few $ and what i had in closet....

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
So, i was on the verge of investing in some piece of new (old) hardware. My thoughts were to get an X79 motherboard with a Xeon E5-2670cpu or two and a GTX 780, 780Ti or 980. But due to some unexpected bills i had to reconsider and work with a smaller budget.

I wanted to "upgrade" from a I5-2500K to some I7 or Xeon with 4+4 cores or better for as little as possible in order to run multiple VM´s simultaniously. I then realized that my old X58 mobo supported (inoffically) Xeons, so the hunt began....

And now i sit here very happy in front of a computer with the specs above for the investment cost of ~$150 (CPU+PSU)

It´s not fancy by any means and the hardware is old but it chews anything i tried to throw at it so far. So for all of you considering getting a new computer, do so if your finances allow, but it might be worth checking out if an upgrade for a lot less is enough.
Just my 5 cents....
nq8oc9.jpg

2m6wv4n.jpg

//NCLR

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
This is a huge cpu upgrade for 150, plus you got a psu. Wish i lived near you to get similar deals.

Reactions: Jack and nclr11111

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
This is a huge cpu upgrade for 150, plus you got a psu. Wish i lived near you to get similar deals.
As long as you have the 1366 mobo i can´t see why you couldn´t? You live in europe and so do i. I ordered the CPU from UK for ~$105 and had some luck with the PSU which i got for a good price from a dude who had´nt read the specs before buying on discount (no refund).
The rest is, as stated, closet stuff. :D
But the real upgrade was from an I7 950 to the Xeon X5680. The 2500 system i gave to my son...

There are "cheap" Xeons on Ebay for almost any socket from s775-s2011 V3, just do a bit of research to make sure your mobo supports it (might need a BIOS upgrade though) and your good to go. But don´t check the manufactors HP. Use this site instead since many supported cpu´s are not officially listed.
My mobo doesn´t support any Xeon´s......officially..... ;)

Reactions: SHvFl and Jack

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
As long as you have the 1366 mobo i can´t see why you couldn´t? You live in europe and so do i. I ordered the CPU from UK for ~$105 and had some luck with the PSU which i got for a good price from a dude who had´nt read the specs before buying on discount (no refund).
The rest is, as stated, closet stuff. :D
But the real upgrade was from an I7 950 to the Xeon X5680. The 2500 system i gave to my son...

There are "cheap" Xeons on Ebay for almost any socket from s775-s2011 V3, just do a bit of research to make sure your mobo supports it (might need a BIOS upgrade though) and your good to go. But don´t check the manufactors HP. Use this site instead since many supported cpu´s are not officially listed.
My mobo doesn´t support any Xeon´s......officially..... ;)
Ok thanks for the site info. This seems like an interesting project to try when i get some extra time.

Reactions: nclr11111

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.