TorrentLocker/Cryptowall/CtbLocker #19 Samples (2015 25 06)

timy

Thread author
Sep 28, 2015
Hello please forgive me if I'm posting in wrong place.
I have downloaded the zip file with samples of cryptolocker etc http://malwaretips.com/threads/torrentlocker-cryptowall-ctblocker-19-samples-2015-25-06.47532/
unzipped but windows is baffled and can't or doesn't know how or what program to open the file

I wanted to infect my machine and learn what happens and practice ways to fix but I can't even open the file

I used the 'infected' password to unzip but now I can't open the file I want to practice working with any help please
thank you

timy

Last edited by a moderator:

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Hello! Welcome to the forums (Although I am new as well...lol)

I am assuming you mean "Windows cannot open ______ file", correct? If that is the case, please continue.
If you are getting the error above, please right click the extracted file (if not extract it) and click on "Rename" Rename it to something like "CyptoLocker.exe" (File extension important!!!) This will make it a executable file, in which you will be able to execute the file and explore CyptoLocker, etc.
Hey, Just want to tell you to be careful with Malware samples. ALWAYS USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE. Trust me, you don't want any harm into your main computer. Also, some types of malware might be able tot slide into your main computer by detecting it is a virtual machine. I know for a fact CyptoLocker does not (having executed it myself) but other types might. Make sure you have a good antivirus installed on your main before you do anything dumb alright? Just want to keep you safe lol.

Once again, please take full responsibility while doing this alright?

Some advice about the ransomware you are describing:
1: Disconnect your internet. CyptoLocker family WILL encrypt whatever it will find there.
2: Turn off shared folders from the Virtual Machine
3: Use safe judgment. Don't feel forced to do something. If you think it's unsafe, or it might damage more than you think, you're probably right.

Stay Safe Kid. Here's a video tutorial.

P.S. Hope I can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

Do you want to infect your machine?

Follow the directions above but keep in mind that it is much better to have a dedicated PC to do these experiments because the VM is never 100% secure !

This PC does not have any personal data or information and of course you must first create a system images stored on external HDD.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Do you want to infect your machine?

Follow the directions above but keep in mind that it is much better to have a dedicated PC to do these experiments because the VM is never 100% secure !

This PC does not have any personal data or information and of course you must first create a system images stored on external HDD.
This could be a fun thread to follow, i can see a train wreck coming. :eek::D

Reactions: LabZero

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You should be very careful in this particular forum.Unless you have experience in testing malware samples you should not download anything from the Malware Hub.
The 2 posts below give solid advice however you do not seem like you have much experience in testing Malware.Please do not take offense to this but we are only concerned with your security.These samples are live malware and nothing to play with especially not on your personal PC.
[Question]TorrentLocker/Cryptowall/CtbLocker #19 Samples (2015 25 06)
[Question]TorrentLocker/Cryptowall/CtbLocker #19 Samples (2015 25 06)

Last edited:

pankaj waghmare

Oct 1, 2015
One month before my PC attacked by cryptowall 3.0 after that i remove total virus. But my data encrypted. I have no backup, restore point to restore the data. Is it any chance to decrypt data?

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
One month before my PC attacked by cryptowall 3.0 after that i remove total virus. But my data encrypted. I have no backup, restore point to restore the data. Is it any chance to decrypt data?
Nope. Lesson learned, you should always have backups. Set up your computer for automatic restore points. Sorry man, nothing I can do here.

Reactions: frogboy
L

LabZero

Currently no guarantee to recover your data, there are solutions but also just a malware variant and you have no results.

Keep in mind: protect your data !!!

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.