Security News TP-Link Gaming Router Vulnerability Exposes Users to Remote Code Attacks

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A maximum-severity security flaw has been disclosed in the TP-Link Archer C5400X gaming router that could lead to remote code execution on susceptible devices by sending specially crafted requests.

The vulnerability, tracked as CVE-2024-5035, carries a CVSS score of 10.0. It impacts all versions of the router firmware including and prior to 1_1.1.6. It has been patched in version 1_1.1.7 released on May 24, 2024.

"By successfully exploiting this flaw, remote unauthenticated attackers can gain arbitrary command execution on the device with elevated privileges," German cybersecurity firm ONEKEY said in a report published Monday.

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I am so Glad. That I decommissioned my TP link ages ago.
My AX20 died so I sent it back after two and a half years and got full refund. I added a bit more money and went to Asus. It's not that I wasn't happy with AX20, I was, but Asus just gets me way more features and has stronger signal with higher speed.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
After TP link I went to Asus but it died on me after a year so I junked it and went to NETGEAR which is 2 year's old now and working fine :emoji_beer:
Did you get a refund? All of the routers, in EU at least, have 3-year warranty. So you send it back and they'll either service it or give you a full refund.

Hungarian company that I bought my AX20 from closed their Croatian webshop just in time my router died. It certainly took some time and e-mails back and forth before getting a full refund. I was asked to send the router back (they sent a courier to pick it up from my place) and then there was a silence for about two weeks. I contacted them again, asking what happened, where's the router to what they replied it's in the repair center (which I know doesn't exist in Europe) and that they asked repair center about the status of repair. The next day new e-mail came saying they approved my refund and to send them IBAN, that's all.

Knowing I won't get my router back I bought Asus TUF Gaming AX3000 v2 from another reputable webshop. It was on sale, if I remember correctly. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.