Advice Request Transfer data to Xiaomi phone

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9
I am upgrading from a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
I want to transfer the data. What's the best way to do that?
I already put the SIM in the new phone, and it's hard to connect the old phone to internet.
There is an app called

Copy My Data​

That is supposed to do it.
I am looking for a method that I don't need to install a new app on my old phone, because that would be a hassle at this point.
What can you suggest?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Your call history will saved in your Xiaomi account if you use it. You can transfer photos, by connecting a charging cable to a PC. You should be able to copy and paste the photos to your PC using Windows Explorer. Then connect the new phone to your PC and copy the photos from the PC to it.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For some reason, the SMS messages are not syncing and many of the contacts did not sync.
How to copy it manually?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So it looks like the best method is to make a backup on the old phone and copy it to the new phone, and do a restore.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So it looks like the best method is to make a backup on the old phone and copy it to the new phone, and do a restore.
Except it didn't work. It says all the data was restored, but my contact list is far from complete, and call and message history is gone.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Every Xiaomi phone should have an app called Mi Mover. From an old phone select "I am a sender" and from new phone " I am a recepient". It should do the job.

On the other hand contacts can be backuped in a single file using default contacts app. Save it on external memory card and import it to a new phone.
Me personaly didn't do any of this. Automatic backups from Google were restored to my new phone when I logged in to my Google account.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I don't think that transferring message and call history is possible. On the other hand, you can use a dongle to connect a flash drive to your old phone and then copy all your data to it and move it to your new phone.

Reactions: Venustus and shmu26

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I don't think that transferring message and call history is possible. On the other hand, you can use a dongle to connect a flash drive to your old phone and then copy all your data to it and move it to your new phone.
You can also move your contacts this way unless they're uploaded to the cloud. If yes, then your contacts should sync automatically when you sign in with your account on your new phone.

Reactions: Venustus and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Every Xiaomi phone should have an app called Mi Mover. From an old phone select "I am a sender" and from new phone " I am a recepient". It should do the job.

On the other hand contacts can be backuped in a single file using default contacts app. Save it on external memory card and import it to a new phone.
Me personaly didn't do any of this. Automatic backups from Google were restored to my new phone when I logged in to my Google account.
My old phone doesn't have Mi Mover, but I will try to download the APK on my computer and install it to the old phone that way.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I use an app called Titanium Backup which is the most powerful backup app for Android. Not sure about it's non-root functionalities, but I use it regularly to backup everything including call history, contacts, apps and messages, literally it lets you create a system image of all that you require, and restore within one click.

I do use it from time to time whenever I switch between custom ROM's on my Android device, just like I switch between Linux distros on my PC.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use it too, so that I can restore all of my previously installed apps, along with their app data.
I think the issue I am facing is version compatibility. I am taking data from a Redmi Note 5a that was probably missing a lot of updates, and transferring it to a new Redmi Note 9.

Reactions: Venustus

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think the issue I am facing is version compatibility. I am taking data from a Redmi Note 5a that was probably missing a lot of updates, and transferring it to a new Redmi Note 9.
That shouldn't matter. If you are using a Mi Account, all your contacts, call history and text messages should get restored to the new phone. Go to Settings, Mi Account and then Xiaomi Cloud. Scroll down and you come to Sync app data. You can choose what gets synced.

If your data wasn't being synced to the cloud on your previous phone, you will be able to go to Xiaomi Cloud on that phone too and enabled syncing for your Messages, Contacts, etc and then once they are synced, you will be able to restore them to your new phone if you enable syncing on it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Android backup
Settings > System > Backup stores your App Data, SMS text messages, Device settings, Call history and Contacts.

Connected services
WhatsApp has it's own backup, which is connected to your Google Drive.

Most of your data is already stored in the cloud, with connected services and Google Drive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.