Basic Security TrinitronMSDOS's Security Setup

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
That's a pretty simple and straightforward security setup, but it provides a good balance between security and lightness. As my wife and son also use our computers, i need a full automated solution to avoid them asking me about what that popup was all about every 5 minutes :p

I usually surf safely, but should i need to venture on less reliable websites or other stuff, i add VoodooShield and uBlock Origin to temporarily improve protection.

As for backups i save my data monthly on an external HDD. Old school is beautiful :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You should definitely consider adding an adblocker, ads besides being super annoying with page popups on some websites etc, it can be a source for malware infection.
Also consider running another on-demand scanner(s) with Malwarebytes (HitmanPro, Zemana, EEK, Avira, NPE etc.)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I agree with @frogboy ! Anomi Backupper Standard (free) is a great backup tool to use. Macrium Reflect is another great tool to use as well. I'd use either one.

Personally, I would add another on-demand scanner as @Bleak has mentioned. EEK, Zemana are great. JRT from Malwarebytes is nice (just be careful). AdwCleaner from Malwarebytes is nice as well.

Overall, I believe you have a nice config. I would personally add uBlock Origin onto your config as it will help with adware etc.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes is a nice combo and would keep you safe. Only concern I have is home edition of win10, you are just at the mercy of microsoft (or beta tester) and unable to defer updates.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of system backup solution as has already been suggested.
What Browser are you using? Any extensions? Such as HTPS Everywhere,Privacy Badger,etc.
I would consider adding uBlock Origin to your browser and just turning it off when you want to.
Apart from the lack of a system backup solution you have a secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it :)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@TrinitronMSDOS Your welcome! Macrium Reflect is great! I hope you enjoy working with this software that is not only free but very sophisticated. uBlock Origin is a great add-on that I would highly recommend to anyone for ad blocking. In addition to this, I'd recommend looking into HTTPS Everywhere that @JM Security recommended. I use this on all of my computers and it is a nice tool.

ZAM Free is fantastic to use as well. I'd highly recommend using this in addition to Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK).

Let us know if you have more questions or need help finding these great solutions for downloading/intalling.

Lightning_Brian

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
Hi all !

Sorry for the late reply but i just took my time to test out those recommendations on my system. I'm now using uBlock Origin and I've added HitmanPro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on demande scanners. As for backup, Macrium Reflect is really nice, but i'd rather rely on backing up my data manually regularly and simply go for a clean install if something should go wrong with Windows... old school is beautiful :cool: As for HTTPS everywhere it is nice indeed but slowed my browsing on Chrome.

So thank you all for your recommendations and i hope those changes will be enough to get the "secured" status ;)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
As for backup, Macrium Reflect is really nice, but i'd rather rely on backing up my data manually regularly and simply go for a clean install if something should go wrong with Windows... old school is beautiful :cool: A
Thanks for sharing your config :)

I agree with you, malware prevention is essential, as essential is to try to understand and resolve OS problems for our knowledge and culture.
But when there are situations out of our reach, tools such as Macrium are the key; personally I restore my last working image in about 10 minutes ;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
As for backup, Macrium Reflect is really nice, but i'd rather rely on backing up my data manually regularly and simply go for a clean install if something should go wrong with Windows... old school is beautiful :cool: As for HTTPS everywhere it is nice indeed but slowed my browsing on Chrome.;)
You could also just have something like a Ninite or Chocolatey to speed up the installation process.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
30/11/2017 UPDATE

Taking advantage of the Black Friday awesome discounts, i have updated my setup:
- replaced Eset Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware
- added HitmanPro (paid version)
- added AdGuard (desktop version)
- added GlassWire Elite
- added NordVPN (using the browser extension and occasionally the Android app and the proxy)
- added Keeper password manager (only for some other website use)

Still using Dashlane as my main password manager as it's the best in my opinion.

This new setup is AWESOME. Very light and stable while providing top notch protection ;)

Reactions: harlan4096
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
27/12/2017 UPDATE

As there was some Christmas sales, i am now using a few maintenance tools:
- added Wise Care 365 Pro (automatic maintenance disabled, using it manually only)
- added Revo Uninstaller Pro (using it to uninstall most softs and occasionally for the additional tools)

Computers are working really well with these tools (y)

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
14/01/2018 UPDATE

For some extra security and maintenance, i made the following changes:
- added Heimdal Pro (default settings)
- added Kerish Doctor (using manual mode only)
- added IObit Driver Booster (to keep some old drivers updated)

Very secure setup and still very light on system ;)

Reactions: harlan4096

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Hi all. Hope everyone's holidays went well. I just added the new Malwarebytes extension for Firefox. When you go through the settings make sure you check out the about section, there is a telementry button that should be unchecked as well.

Reactions: Prorootect
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
27/01/2018 UPDATE

I made few changes to reinforce security:
- replaced Emsisoft Anti-Malware by Eset Internet Security (no particular reason, i just LOVE both Eset and Emsisoft and i like to switch some times to times as i miss Eset with i use Emsisoft and vice versa :p)
- added Malwarebytes Premium

I've made exclusions for Eset, Malwarebytes and Heimdal and deactivated WFP network driver on Adguard. Protection is excellent and system is light.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.