Trojan.FakeAV.LVT– Plays You (Like) in Movies

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
What happens when screenplay writers, social engineers and software developers meet

A video on Facebook is used as vector of infection for a Trojan, the rogue AV component artfully mimics the antivirus you have installed on your system and the downloader adds the compromised PC to a network of infected systems that constantly exchange malware between them.

Read more

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
That's some advanced malware right there, I didn't know there was such a thing as a "copycat kit" for copying off the alerts produced by legitimate antivirus products, very elaborate and tricky, I better warn my mom about this since she browses Facebook a lot.

D

Deleted member 178

At least we can have some fun with those malwares, not so easy to detect, but an advanced user will be awared of it by the abnormal behavior of his computer.

I

illumination

Thank you for the heads up on this Jack, i have not heard of malware such as this till now. Would be interesting to come across while browsing, to say the least.

Although i am thinking if i did, i would have been safe enough, as i never use the "automated" update for flash. I always manually uninstall it, then go to preferred sites to install latest version.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I asked my mom to tell me if she finds something similar to this, maybe she get's lucky and finds it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very tricky from the link that was being a Youtube page until the imitate antivirus alert that user convince to remove the alarming threat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.