Advice Request Trying Norton on VM

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just installed Norton (on VM) at suggestion of a_friend. Seems light at the keyboard. Dashboard / settings seem minimal. which is ok. I have not dug in too deeply yet, but skimming thru it, I can't even find what version I'm running? :unsure: usually that's somewhere in settings if not displayed on main screen. right click all I see that is not obvious is "turn on silent mode," does that turn off all popup notifications?
PS I have NOT activated its password manager, and not sure I want to -- any "advice" about that?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The version information of Norton product can usually be found by opening the main window and clicking on the "Help" icon, then selecting "About". As for "silent mode," it turns off all the notifications and alerts except for the critical ones. Regarding the password manager, some people opt to use third-party password managers instead of built-in ones for security reasons, but it ultimately depends on your personal preference.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Norton is pretty light, offers good protection and it seems that it finally fixed the false positives galore.

About the password manager, dont use it, stay with Bitwarden or something similar.

About the "turn on silent mode", yes thats what it does, but I dont see the reason to use it, it will auto enable if you are using something at full screen anyway.

About the version, you need to use the option "Open Norton 360" > "Configurations" > "Help" > "About".

teste .png

Last edited by a moderator:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Seems light at the keyboard
It is light on all parameters and the systems feels smooth even on average hardware.

Dashboard / settings seem minimal.
Norton 360 has 2 interfaces. The “My Norton” interface serves as a “launcher” where you have all Norton components. More settings and functions can be found in the classic interface.
To learn more about the interfaces use this official documentation:
I have not dug in too deeply yet, but skimming thru it, I can't even find what version I'm running?
To view the version info, click on Help and then About.
right click all I see that is not obvious is "turn on silent mode," does that turn off all popup notifications?
Norton 360 performs various background tasks not at all times and when you need your device to perform, but when your device is idle (switched on and you are not using keyboard & mouse).
Silent Mode suspends ALL alerts (ignore the bot’s rubbish) and ALL background tasks. The systems continues being protected. A summary of actions taken during silent mode (if there are such) is displayed upon deactivation.
PS I have NOT activated its password manager, and not sure I want to -- any "advice" about that?
Norton offers good password manager. You can give it a try, only you can decide whether you should use something or not.

P.S. If you are totally new to Norton, I suggest you read the manual:

If you need something, the classic interface has a search field on top. Feel free to type in the search field, it searches in actions, settings, settings description and help files. For example you can type “notifications” and it will bring various settings related to that.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The version information of Norton product can usually be found by opening the main window and clicking on the "Help" icon, then selecting "About". As for "silent mode," it turns off all the notifications and alerts except for the critical ones. Regarding the password manager, some people opt to use third-party password managers instead of built-in ones for security reasons, but it ultimately depends on your personal preference.
thanks, but I think your reply above has some misstatements... eg Help does not have or does not seem to have an About. :unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: kylprq

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
thanks, but I think your reply above has some misstatements... eg Help does not have or does not seem to have an About. :unsure:
I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. I may have accidentally provided incorrect information. To view the version information of Norton product, you can click on the "Settings" icon in the Norton main window and then click on "General" -> "About" or you can click on "Help" -> "About" in the classic interface. Again, I apologize for any confusion caused.

Reactions: kylprq

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Norton is pretty light, offers good protection and it seems that it finally fixed the false positives galore.

About the password manager, dont use it, stay with Bitwarden or something similar.

About the "turn on silent mode", yes thats what it does, but I dont see the reason to use it, it will auto enable if you are using something at full screen anyway.

About the version, you need to use the option "Open Norton 360" > "Configurations" > "Help" > "About".

View attachment 274975
thanks but I installed the AV Plus version, and very minimal info so far... Your reply helpful. this win10_VM is very responsive with Norton.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It is light on all parameters and the systems feels smooth even on average hardware.

Norton 360 has 2 interfaces. The “My Norton” interface serves as a “launcher” where you have all Norton components. More settings and functions can be found in the classic interface.
To learn more about the interfaces use this official documentation:
Thanks but same reply I sent Nightwalker, Norton AV Plus seems to have a different interface than Norton 360, factoid, my official Norton (US) webpage does NOT offer 360, it shows 4 versions: AV Plus, Standard, Deluxe, & Select+Lifelock. Could be I am missing something, would not be the first time. Their comparison page, the protection seems to be same on all 4, while the other 3... each offer more "stuff" I do not need. So far, AGREE, light, responsive & smooth. I'll see what the manual delivers a little later. :unsure::geek:

It’s there:

You’ll need to switch to classic mode to access it.
I'm old enough to appreciate "classiic" -- must be buried somewhere in there. I'll find it... :D:geek:

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
To bring up the classic interface once (on demand) click “Open” (circled in red, I am on a mobile device).

To configure Classic Mode as default so it will always be shown when you double click the tray or desktop icon, click on the cogwheel circled in blue.

IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg

Reactions: Sorrento

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
To bring up the classic interface once (on demand) click “Open” (circled in red, I am on a mobile device).

To configure Classic Mode as default so it will always be shown when you double click the tray or desktop icon, click on the cogwheel circled in blue.

View attachment 274980View attachment 274981
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: me laughing at myself. THANKS. Duh+ v 22.23.3.8

off Topic but are you using gen 1 or 2 VM🤔
gen 2 is more smooth to me
you tell me -- running VMware 16.2.5. I have not gone to 17 as I got the sense it was more for win11 & MS does not like my cpu for 11. VMw 16 runs aok smooth for me. I currently have 6 win10 VM & 1 Linux but don't run them all at the same time. 😉

• HaHa
Reactions: kylprq and Trident

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Honestly after having used Norton for years I'd say stick with a dedicated password manager. Bitwarden, RoboForm, and Sticky Password are all good password managers that I have personally used. Those would be the top three in that order. I'm very keen on Bitwarden!

As for Norton's crazy startup page - I'm with you on having the classic look. The new look is ok, but I like having the classic look/feel.

On a off topic note I'm not a fan of their VPN one bit. I'm more keen to Windscribe myself and was a early adapter. Thought I throw that out there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.