Status
Not open for further replies.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I did a full scan with TSE and TS, both up-to-date with Avira/Bitdefender NOT enabled. The results for both of them were different. TSE showed about 7 false positives for malware (sorry no pic) and auto checked them for removal. TS showed 0. Both scans were performed back to back with no change in software.

Windows 10 Pro

Why is detection more accurate on TS compared to TSE in this simple test I did?

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Extra note: Also, all settings were default. I came across this issue when I had TS installed. I did a full scan with TS...it flagged nothing. I then decided I wanted to try TSE. I uninstalled TS and installed TSE. I ran another full scan w/ TSE. It marked 7-8 as malware (false positives on some older DVR installation exes that I have). I thought that was odd so I re-installed TS and ran a full scan. Nothing was found (TS only wanted to upload some files...but the files were different than what TSE found).

So in short, TSE seems to have a different detection rate (more false positives in my case) than TS + I haven't noticed any "upload files for analysis" when using TSE. Strange?

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
It is difficult to determine, but there is probably a difference in the QVM implementation between the two - or - perhaps TS does not use QVM ;):

Qihoo 360 - Investor Relations - Our Technologies - QVM

Any difference between TS and TSE could be intentional or unintentional.

Technical infos on this sort of thing are difficult to come by.

Ya. I accidentally came across this issue. If repeatable on another system, this would be an interesting thing to consider when choosing between the two. Thanks.

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
I have been using TSE for quite awhile and have had no false positives in the last few months. I received the false positives mostly on new downloads.

do not like TS due to all the attached utilities, like to cleanup my pc myself :)

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Just tried to scan Project Cars with TS, no false positive upon pCARS.exe, TSE does throw one.
VirusTotal uses the TSE engine for the 360 check, since there it also shows up with a false positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.