AI Assist turning on virtualization in VMware in order to run Windows Sandbox

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Cyberlock now has a feature utilizing Windows Sandbox, and I mostly run win10 virutal machine in VMware 16.2 but Cyberlock Sandbox is not working in the VM. it was suggested to turn ON virtualization in VMware settings. Do you know if this correct and where the setting is to accomplish this?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, it is correct that you need to enable virtualization in VMware settings in order to use Windows Sandbox or any other virtualization-based feature within a virtual machine.

To enable virtualization in VMware, follow these steps:

1. Open VMware Workstation or VMware Player.
2. Power off the virtual machine that you want to enable virtualization for.
3. Go to the virtual machine's settings by right-clicking on it and selecting "Settings" from the context menu.
4. In the Virtual Machine Settings window, click on the "Processors" option in the left pane.
5. In the right pane, check the box next to "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" (the exact wording may vary depending on your processor).
6. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Note that your host computer's BIOS settings should also have virtualization support enabled. To check and enable virtualization in your computer's BIOS, you need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup utility. The specific steps to access the BIOS vary depending on the computer manufacturer, so you may need to consult your computer's documentation or search online for instructions specific to your model.

Once virtualization is enabled in both the host computer's BIOS and VMware settings, you should be able to use Cyberlock Sandbox or any other virtualization-based feature within your virtual machine.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it is correct that you need to enable virtualization in VMware settings in order to use Windows Sandbox or any other virtualization-based feature within a virtual machine.

To enable virtualization in VMware, follow these steps:

1. Open VMware Workstation or VMware Player.
2. Power off the virtual machine that you want to enable virtualization for.
3. Go to the virtual machine's settings by right-clicking on it and selecting "Settings" from the context menu.
4. In the Virtual Machine Settings window, click on the "Processors" option in the left pane.
5. In the right pane, check the box next to "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" (the exact wording may vary depending on your processor).
6. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Note that your host computer's BIOS settings should also have virtualization support enabled. To check and enable virtualization in your computer's BIOS, you need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup utility. The specific steps to access the BIOS vary depending on the computer manufacturer, so you may need to consult your computer's documentation or search online for instructions specific to your model.

Once virtualization is enabled in both the host computer's BIOS and VMware settings, you should be able to use Cyberlock Sandbox or any other virtualization-based feature within your virtual machine.
I read a reply similar to yours, but the comment was yes it works but Windows Sandbox is so slow in VMware to make it useless... I have not tested it yet. Maybe I still will...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I read a reply similar to yours, but the comment was yes it works but Windows Sandbox is so slow in VMware to make it useless... I have not tested it yet. Maybe I still will...
Yes, it is true that running Windows Sandbox within VMware can sometimes result in slower performance compared to running it natively on the host machine. This is because running a virtual machine within another virtual machine adds an additional layer of virtualization, which can impact performance.

The performance of Windows Sandbox within VMware can vary depending on factors such as the hardware specifications of the host machine, the resources allocated to the virtual machine, and the workload being executed within the sandbox.

If you decide to test Windows Sandbox within VMware, it is recommended to allocate sufficient resources to the virtual machine to ensure optimal performance. This includes allocating enough CPU cores, RAM, and disk space to the virtual machine.

However, keep in mind that even with adequate resources, running Windows Sandbox within VMware may still not provide the same level of performance as running it natively on the host machine. Therefore, it's important to consider your specific use case and requirements before deciding whether to use Windows Sandbox within VMware or explore alternative options.

• Thanks

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it is true that running Windows Sandbox within VMware can sometimes result in slower performance compared to running it natively on the host machine. This is because running a virtual machine within another virtual machine adds an additional layer of virtualization, which can impact performance.

The performance of Windows Sandbox within VMware can vary depending on factors such as the hardware specifications of the host machine, the resources allocated to the virtual machine, and the workload being executed within the sandbox.

If you decide to test Windows Sandbox within VMware, it is recommended to allocate sufficient resources to the virtual machine to ensure optimal performance. This includes allocating enough CPU cores, RAM, and disk space to the virtual machine.

However, keep in mind that even with adequate resources, running Windows Sandbox within VMware may still not provide the same level of performance as running it natively on the host machine. Therefore, it's important to consider your specific use case and requirements before deciding whether to use Windows Sandbox within VMware or explore alternative options.
I did enable the 3 VMware virtualization switches, but VM said does not work, and did not boot the virtual machine, so I disabled those 3 switches...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I did enable the 3 VMware virtualization switches, but VM said does not work, and did not boot the virtual machine, so I disabled those 3 switches...
I apologize for the confusion. If enabling the virtualization switches in VMware caused the virtual machine to not boot or work properly, it is possible that there may be other factors at play.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify that your host computer's BIOS settings have virtualization support enabled. As mentioned earlier, you need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup utility to check and enable virtualization. Ensure that the virtualization settings are correctly configured in the BIOS.

2. Make sure you have the latest version of VMware installed. Sometimes, updating to the latest version can resolve compatibility issues.

3. Check the virtual machine's settings in VMware and ensure that the virtualization switches are correctly enabled. Double-check that you have selected the appropriate option for your processor (Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI).

4. Try allocating more resources to the virtual machine, such as increasing the number of CPU cores or allocating more RAM. Inadequate resources can sometimes cause performance issues or prevent the virtual machine from booting.

5. If the issue persists, you may want to consider reaching out to VMware support or consulting their documentation for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance based on your setup and any error messages you encounter.

It's worth noting that running Windows Sandbox within a virtual machine can sometimes be problematic due to the nested virtualization involved. If you continue to experience difficulties, you may want to explore alternative options for running Windows Sandbox, such as using it on the host machine or considering other virtualization solutions specifically designed for nested virtualization scenarios.

• Thanks

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I apologize for the confusion. If enabling the virtualization switches in VMware caused the virtual machine to not boot or work properly, it is possible that there may be other factors at play.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify that your host computer's BIOS settings have virtualization support enabled. As mentioned earlier, you need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup utility to check and enable virtualization. Ensure that the virtualization settings are correctly configured in the BIOS.

2. Make sure you have the latest version of VMware installed. Sometimes, updating to the latest version can resolve compatibility issues.

3. Check the virtual machine's settings in VMware and ensure that the virtualization switches are correctly enabled. Double-check that you have selected the appropriate option for your processor (Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI).

4. Try allocating more resources to the virtual machine, such as increasing the number of CPU cores or allocating more RAM. Inadequate resources can sometimes cause performance issues or prevent the virtual machine from booting.

5. If the issue persists, you may want to consider reaching out to VMware support or consulting their documentation for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance based on your setup and any error messages you encounter.

It's worth noting that running Windows Sandbox within a virtual machine can sometimes be problematic due to the nested virtualization involved. If you continue to experience difficulties, you may want to explore alternative options for running Windows Sandbox, such as using it on the host machine or considering other virtualization solutions specifically designed for nested virtualization scenarios.
I do not really need Windows Sandbox inside VMware so I just disabled those 3 switches. No worries... :whistle:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I do not really need Windows Sandbox inside VMware so I just disabled those 3 switches. No worries... :whistle:
Understood! If you don't need to use Windows Sandbox within VMware, disabling the virtualization switches is a valid option. This will allow you to continue using your virtual machine without any issues related to Windows Sandbox.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with any other topic, feel free to ask.

• Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.