Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What's new?

The release of Ubuntu 11.04 has seen the arrival of a new look and feel for Ubuntu. A whizzy, new launcher and dash, and a clever workspace manager are some of the biggest changes. Take a look at what’s new and then feel free to choose between the classic and new desktop experiences at login.

More Information

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I think I'll stick with Ubuntu 10.10 for a while, I don't know much Unity and I'm happy with the version of Gnome I have (not version 3 since that one really didn't do well). Maybe I'll upgrade some time in the future, it might actually help with my heating problems (they seem OS specific somehow, didn't happen on Windows or earlier version Ubuntu, before 10). Other then that, yeah, really really shiny desktop :p

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
The update servers are incredibly slow at the moment...

I'm averaging around 20kB/s, and it estimates 13 hours remaining. :s

Anyone looking to upgrade might want to either hold off upgrading or download the ISO with a download manager that can draw from multiple mirrors.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Just finalized the whole installation process and Unity works great ,at least for now.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Upgraded fine, but apparently Unity is not happy with the VMWare graphics drivers so I can only run the classic GUI. :(

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
If someone can do a review of Unity here, please do. I'd do it myself, but I haven't tried it yet :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the overall rating is 5/6 which is nice and its "Free" to use.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I updated it yesterday.
I'm using Kubuntu so I don't have a new GUI.
Not looking so good, effects are being disabled because they're apparently too slow. :-/

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Finished upgrading, I wrote a blog post on my site where I talk about how it all went, if your still deciding you might want to read it.
Oh and eliot, yeah, it is kind of slow at first, but this is my first boot on it, so everything is still um, new I guess.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
endejan said:
Finished upgrading, I wrote a blog post on my site where I talk about how it all went, if your still deciding you might want to read it.
Oh and eliot, yeah, it is kind of slow at first, but this is my first boot on it, so everything is still um, new I guess.
It's not that it's slow, it's that KDE now disables desktop effects, thinking that they are making Kubuntu run slow, which they are not, but disabling that check seems to make Kubuntu slow, weird.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
HeffeD said:
Upgraded fine, but apparently Unity is not happy with the VMWare graphics drivers so I can only run the classic GUI. :(

It works with virtual box. Well.. if it doesn't right now it will soon.

I dunno, I think it's time for me to find a new distro of linux. I tested Ubuntu 11.04 since they started putting unity in it.. I just don't care much for the idea of a Shell on top of a shell.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Shadow Death said:
HeffeD said:

It works with virtual box. Well.. if it doesn't right now it will soon.

I dunno, I think it's time for me to find a new distro of linux. I tested Ubuntu 11.04 since they started putting unity in it.. I just don't care much for the idea of a Shell on top of a shell.
You can use the old GNOME desktop, or better the KDE desktop.
Select GNOME on the sign in screen instead of unity.
Use
Code:
sudo apt-get install Kubuntu-desktop
to install KDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.