Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
THE 2016 KENT CYBER SECURITY SURVEY:
"This is the Third Edition of the traditional Kent Cyber Security Research Centre’s Annual Survey. In it, we try to get responses and figures from the UK public to assess their experiences, practices and opinions regarding a number of cybersecurity related topics. This year, we get British citizens’ opinion on issues as relevant as the treatment of their personal health data by third parties, how they deal with smartphone application requests for permissions, new security measures they want to implement in their devices, their experience with cybercrime, ransomware, cryptocurrencies, as users of the darknet, and how they think it is best to react to data breaches."

[Read the survey at cyber.kent.ac.uk]

Cyber Security Survey reveals darknet use higher among 18-24 year olds:
SOURCE: phys.org (ARTICLE DATE: 6 Sep 2016)

Tor-onion-network.png

A recent survey by the Cyber Security Centre at the University of Kent has revealed that 5% of British adults have browsed the darknet, with 1% acknowledging they have bought items from it, but this percentage is much higher (14%) for 18-24 year olds.

The survey, now in its third year, also revealed that:

• At least 4% of British adults have been victims of ransomware, where their computer has had malware installed, which encrypts their data and then faced demands for a payment to restore it back to normal. Of those polled, 26% paid the ransom - though even after they complied with the criminals' demands, 35% of them never recovered their data
  • When it comes to data breaches, it is the older age group that wants the toughest penalties imposed. Approximately 40% of British adults agree with companies suffering the breach paying larger fines, with the users affected receiving significant compensation. They believe the government should do more to prevent data breaches in companies
[To read the full article please visit phys.org]

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Even I though I have the "browser of choice" for surfing turbulent waters,I still haven't done it.

No matter the securities on my PC,I'm in doubt.Oh,well....Time to image my drive.:cool:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
"Curiosity killed the cat"
For those who might not know,it means the inherent danger of inquisitiveness and unnecessary experimentation.
I am sure for most people in this age group it is that curiosity that draws them to see what is on the dark web.
However that curiosity might bring you to something you were not bargaining for and quite disturbing to say the least.
The problem with that is the dark web is full of predators of all types many who are extremely deviant.Tens of thousands of predators!
What is more concerning than the size and type of activity is the growth.Which seems to expand dramatically with every passing year.
Since it is phrase day :D "Like a lamb to the slaughter".
It is always monitored but due to the anonymity it is difficult to trace these people.
Forensic/Digital computer analysts do have investigative techniques to trace these people but finding them is difficult.
As @Klipsh stated above "Stay away!"

davidp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
Sure, there are pitfalls of the dark web. Lots of them. But a lot of interesting information can be learned there as well. Especially for folks on the defending side of things.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Sure, there are pitfalls of the dark web. Lots of them. But a lot of interesting information can be learned there as well. Especially for folks on the defending side of things.
Maybe true but a lot of interesting information can be learned from the surface(regular)web.Which is accessible and indexed.
As opposed to the deep web(accessible and non-indexed)and the dark web(inaccessible and non-indexed).
It can be used as a learning tool for those in law enforcement and cyber security but these people know what is there and have a purpose for being there and monitoring it.
However for the topic at hand,as well as the age groups,we are talking about those who are there out of curiosity.
If you are not a professional that is there with a purpose you are better served staying up on top and obtaining that useful,interesting information there.
Some will say they are there for anonymity but from where I stand this is just a way of justifying being there.
There is a growing amount of unnecessary paranoia,if you will,about spying and privacy and there are many simple things you can do to secure your privacy.If you are unsure what they are just search for them on the regular web which is fully indexed by all search engines.
My personal opinion is there is no justifiable reason for the average person to be on the dark web period.By average person that pretty much means most of the worlds population except those whose duty it is to monitor and investigate a very bad place.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.