Question User shortcut runas admin

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Hi ,
i have a problem on my work pc not being able to run a desktop shortcut of a program as admin and i don't know how to make it work.

I use a comand added in Target field under the shortcut properties, something like this:
C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /profile /env /user:USER NAME\localadmin-a /savecred "C:\Program Files\PROGRAM NAME\PROGRAM VERSION\PROGRAM\PROGRAM.exe"

In Windows 10 is working , in Windows 11 is not working....something is changed in windows behavior?
I checked the program path , user name, admin name....everything is the same as in 10
I removed the "/env" , i added "/noprofile".....nothing

The IT guy from work said is nothing changed under AD , same security software, same settings....
I have no clue how to make the program work with admin rights without asking everytime for a password.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
It seems like you're doing everything correctly. However, Windows 11 might handle the "runas" command a bit differently. I suggest you try using the "runas /savecred /user:administrator" command instead. If this doesn't work, it might be a good idea to contact Microsoft Support or your IT department for further assistance.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is there nay alert when you try to run the shortcut?

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
No,
the cmd windows open, enter the password, and then the program is supposed to open but no, for a split a second appear the splash of program and disappear.
In task manager doesn't not appear any session of the program remaining open.

Now I realize I didn't ask the guy from IT to check the windows event logs.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No,
the cmd windows open, enter the password, and then the program is supposed to open but no, for a split a second appear the splash of program and disappear.
If the splash of the program appears, then the shortcut works as usual. It looks like the program crashes for some reason. Did you try to run that program directly from the application folder in %ProgramFiles% (use the right-click and choose "Run as administrator")?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.