Advice Request Using 3rd party DNS with VPN doesn't let me Stream Content

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Whenever I use a free DNS like Cloudflare,Quad9 etc with my VPN , Amazon Prime Video and other streaming sites that block VPNs detect it and block me. Does this happen with all VPNs and all users? Or am I missing something here? Only if I use the VPN's default DNS , no sites block me.

Reactions: Sorrento

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Using 3rd party DNS with VPN beats it's purpose, because it can leak.
You can try to disable SMHNR, Teredo, IPv6, but not sure if it helps.
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v "DisableSmartNameResolution" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "DisableParallelAandAAAA" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "EnableMDNS" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v "EnableMulticast" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters" /v "UseDomainNameDevolution" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
netsh int teredo set state disabled
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "6to4_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "ISATAP_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "Teredo_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "EnableICSIPv6" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
sc config iphlpsvc start= disabled

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Using 3rd party DNS with VPN beats it's purpose, because it can leak.
You can try to disable SMHNR, Teredo, IPv6, but not sure if it helps.
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v "DisableSmartNameResolution" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "DisableParallelAandAAAA" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "EnableMDNS" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v "EnableMulticast" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters" /v "UseDomainNameDevolution" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
netsh int teredo set state disabled
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "6to4_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "ISATAP_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\TCPIP\v6Transition" /v "Teredo_State" /t REG_SZ /d "Disabled" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "EnableICSIPv6" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f
sc config iphlpsvc start= disabled
Ahh If I use say Quad9, then my DNS queries will simply be handled by Quad9 instead of the VPN Dns. Whats the leak here? When I check in a test site, the IP is that of the VPN, no webRTC leaks, and DNS address is that of the DNS I am using(say Quad9).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If you are connected to VPN then the VPN DNS would be used, no matter what DNS you have set on your let's say router or windows settings.
If it's using your router's DNS when you are connected to the VPN then it's a DNS leak issue of the VPN as @TairikuOkami said above.
One way to bypass this VPN DNS is to set your preferred DNS in the browser, like Chromium and Firefox browsers DNS settings. In that case, you will have your VPN connected without using VPN's DNS on the browser.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
If you are connected to VPN then the VPN DNS would be used, no matter what DNS you have set on your let's say router or windows settings.
If it's using your router's DNS when you are connected to the VPN then it's a DNS leak issue of the VPN as @TairikuOkami said above.
One way to bypass this VPN DNS is to set your preferred DNS in the browser, like Chromium and Firefox browsers DNS settings. In that case, you will have your VPN connected without using VPN's DNS on the browser.
Yeah I have done that , used custom DNS settings in the browser with the VPN ON. So now I am using that custom DNS with the VPN. But in this case the streaming sites like Amazon prime video detects the VPN and blocks me. If I don't use any custom DNS, then things are fine.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah I have done that , used custom DNS settings in the browser with the VPN ON. So now I am using that custom DNS with the VPN. But in this case the streaming sites like Amazon prime video detects the VPN and blocks me. If I don't use any custom DNS, then things are fine.
Well, you gain some, you lose some. Your VPN provider is likely designed in a way to bypass this detection from Amazon prime and for that you need to use their DNS. So probably there is no other option for you.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Well, you gain some, you lose some. Your VPN provider is likely designed in a way to bypass this detection from Amazon prime and for that you need to use their DNS. So probably there is no other option for you.
So are you saying that this is true in case of my VPN provider , but for others it isn't so?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Any streaming site like netflix, hotstar would do for the test.
I have none at the moment. I'm Captain Jack Sparrow 😂
giphy.gif

Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.