New Update Using uMatrix as AdBlocker (for people surfing incognito)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Please save your uMatrix configuration before making these changes

uBlock exels as an Adblocker with Noscript like functionality, while uMatric excels as a (no)ScriptBlocker with Host file and Adblock blocklist functionality. I was looking for a way to use uMatrix as adblocker with optional third-party block for some irritating websites. Because I run incognito I prefer uMatrix over uBlock. With the latest updates of uMatrix it is also capable of using host file and adblock lists same as uBlock. uBlock and uMatrix functionality seems to convergence/convergate (what is correct English)?

Change My Rules to (starting from * * * block)
* * * allow
* * CSS allow
* 1st-party * allow

Reduce the Assets (blocklist used)

You can now import adblock lists also from Easylist, Adguard or DNS. From the defaults I only use MVPS Host and Peter Low (they have a good block-rate-list-size ratio for my browsing behavior, but that depends on your personal surfing habits)
- Enable MVPS Host from default list
- Enable Peter Low's list from default list
- Disable others (it makes no sense using malware blocking, then you are better using the MBAM extension)

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Changing from Adblock-mode to uMatrix-block-rd-party mode for a SPECIFIC website (MalwareTips is just as example, it is absolutely not the category irritating websites I use 3rd-party blocking for :) ).

Note how uMatrix shows thiord-party block only in light red when it blocks both 1st and 3rd the domains are listed in dark red!

1529050656585.png

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks for this post. I use Nano Adblocker or uBO in Advanced User Medium Mode (block 3rd party scripts & frames) depending on browser, and this works for me given my surfing habits. This has been great so far. I am curious about uMatrix though it seems a bit more complicated. Can you compare/expand on this method to mine?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
uBlock is a little easier to use,. but uMatrix offers a litle more control. The user interface, difference between uBlock and uMatrix is that first and third party are not horizontal (uBlock) but vertical (uMatrix) displayed in the table like grid. In the past uMatric had a more efficient engine, but it seems that uMatrix got an 'upgrade' to the uBlock engine. In the past uMatric could only interpretate host files, now it is able like uBlock to interpretate adblock and host file blocklist formats. LIt also makes sense to share more code between those two extensions for ease of maintenance.

Compared to uBlock uMatrix has a little more control (e.g. also XML HTTP requests and Cookies), but uBlock is easier to operate. uBlock was focussed on block list (adblock like functionality) and third-party blocking while uMatrix was more directed to third-party blocking and Noscript like functionality. uBlock exels as an Adblocker with Noscript like functionality, UMatric as a (no)ScriptBlocker with Host file and Adblock blocklist functionality.

I just outlined a way to use uMatrix likeUblock (so not the Noscript block all, but more like Adblock plus 3rd-party blocking). When you run Chrome incognito uBlock lainches 2 instances. On an old Pentium Dial Core with 4GB, I just thought of something to trim down extenssion memory usage (more for fun than for practical reasons). In short when you are happy with uBlock keep using it.

I run Chrome incognito and I don;t like uBlock loading two instances when running incognoto (uMatrix only has one intance loaded). Just run Chrome incognito and press Shift Escape and you will see 2 instances of uBlock (or Nano).

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
How uBlock companion helps you add a personal blacklist while you surf. I have imported DNS somple ad-filer and Better-FYI anti tracking list in Visual Studio and changed only com, net, org and inf domains to uMatrix rules. uMatrix throws away invalid rules, so all stuff I don't need (like trackers from russia). While surfing I might have added 10 domains maximum . With less than 2000 uMatrix rules (attached as txt file) and all other blocklist disabled in uMatrix assets, I get better uBo-companion ratings than with all uMatrix and uBlock list enabled (130.000 rules in total). Less is more :)

1529077479357.png

Attachments

• my-umatrix-rules.txt
    51.2 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.