Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Video files gets automatically damaged when stored to Pendrive
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Partition recovery using CMD command
Hi. I am having 64 gb pen drive. From last 1 week, when I saved video file in i, these video files automatically get corrupted. Means these not playable in any video player. I tried to format pendrive, but its unable to format. I tried partion recovery of pendrive by using CMD but it fails. can anyone plz help me?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Does the pendrive have a lock button? If it does try that first but 9 times out of 10 it's the pen drive itself thats broken from my personal experience, especially with that kind of issues. If the pen drive also don't work in another machine, it's probably more then likely one of those 9 times.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

There are multiple reasons for this to happen:
  • The player where you trying to play video, doesn't support the video format.
  • You have RAM issues.
  • The pendrive is damaged (they have a limited number of writes).
Try with another pendrive to pinpoint the issue, I suggest doing MD5 scans of the files you copy to the pendrive to make sure they were copied perfectly.

Most of the cases where I seen this happen was always caused by damaged RAM sticks, the only cases where I seen a pendrive actual fail were cheap pendrives from unknown brands.

Back when USB 3.0 was released pendrive failure was more common though, as they tend to overheat (was fixed on USB 3.1).

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.