Battle VIPRE Internet Security vs. Avast Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Hm, have been hearing above Vipre a lot recently.... Just curious, how does it compare with Avast?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
Hm, have been hearing above Vipre a lot recently.... Just curious, how does it compare with Avast?

The only way to know is to try both and compare yourself.
Each user and system may have different results.

Thanks.:D

V

Vextor

Right now I'm using VIPRE, and it works really well. Good web guard, excellent detection ratios and easy to use interface. Only thing I would say is maybe Avast! has better detection rates, but VIPRE has HIPS protection, so it makes up for that. My choice is VIPRE by a long mile, simply because of the HIPS and ease-to-use.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
bbbbweb said:
Right now I'm using VIPRE, and it works really well. Good web guard, excellent detection ratios and easy to use interface. Only thing I would say is maybe Avast! has better detection rates, but VIPRE has HIPS protection, so it makes up for that. My choice is VIPRE by a long mile, simply because of the HIPS and ease-to-use.

VIPRE does seem pretty nice. The interface could look a little more fancy, which was the reason why I like Avast (I'm so OCD with this stuff). But other then that, I'll think about using VIPRE one of these days.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Both products have a very good antivirus engine and web guard , which will give you a high detection rate....
VIPRE IS 2012 comes with a firewall which can generate a few alerts due to the lack of a proper white list and even though it comes bundled with a HIPS , this is not by default enabled for the same reason.
Looking by comparison Avast 7 is much more user friendly and it comes bundled with a lot of modern extra features (site advisor , sandbox , cloud reputation etc) which could save you from an infection.
VIPRE IS 2012 is great if you are an Advanced user however Avast IS 7 with their Automatic Sandbox and file reputation system is overall a better choice for most of the users.

darkelixa

Jul 3, 2011
I fail to understand how a sandbox is good when Avast is having a hard issue with theres, Vist there forums and you will see the headaches people are having with avast, at least with vipre you can press the help me button and get a live chat

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
darkelixa said:
BTW avast does not have hips enabled at default either. Vipres firewall will not generate alerts at all, its all auto mode on default

Avast doesn't even have any HIPS components.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast prefer to chose BB over HIPS on their components since most users would annoyed HIPS due ton interaction. While the BB will just alert anything that known to be suspicious.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Tried VIPRE the other day and so far I have like of what it does. This vote would have to been a close call for me, always have loved Avast, but comparing the detection ratio, VIPRE comes out better.

darkelixa said:
BTW avast does not have hips enabled at default either. Vipres firewall will not generate alerts at all, its all auto mode on default

I never did thing Avast had HIPS to start off with?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
darkelixa said:
I fail to understand how a sandbox is good when Avast is having a hard issue with theres, Vist there forums and you will see the headaches people are having with avast, at least with vipre you can press the help me button and get a live chat

I guess you missed the fact that Avast offers remote assistance to all of their customers. Remote assistance is much better than online chat, because they will fix the problems for you.

Avast prefer to chose BB over HIPS on their components since most users would annoyed HIPS due ton interaction. While the BB will just alert anything that known to be suspicious.

Completely agree, most users never benefit from HIPS, it causes more problems than solving anything. I hope Avast never adds HIPS.

If they did most of their user base will vanish.

I never had a problem with Avast sandbox, most issues users were having were related to other installed security software. Avast doesn't need any additional HIPS security software for real-time used with it.

The auto-sandbox is very effective at stopping infections if nothing else interferes with it.

Thanks.:D

gusthebus

Mar 2, 2011
Well when it comes down to usability and practicality (both of which I consider the most important attributes to an AV) avast is the clear winner. Avast has more users and therefore better cloud AV/file reputation capabilities. Vipre is great if you know what you're doing and can handle everything it tells you, but Avast is the clear choice for more home computer users.

So in my opinion the winner is: Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.