VirtualBox 5.1 - How do I keep my host machine and network safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitman

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 22, 2016
Hey guys. I have a questions when it comes to the network options in VirtualBox 5.1. What is the safest option? I use wireless wifi at my home. I dont want malware to travel through the network and spread or somehow take malicious advantage over the network. I see I have a couple of choises:

* NAT
* NAT Network
* Bridged Adapter
* Internal Network
* Host-only Adapter
* Generic Driver

What is the safest option here?

bitman

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 22, 2016
As long as you've taken the necessary precautions to fully protect your host, I believe the default (NAT) should be the safest option here.
Ok cool. So I use NAT now and my shared folder is on "read" only. Is there anything else that i should check?

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
One thing I would add is make sure you have an interactive outbound firewall installed on any virtual PC's that have Internet access. Comodo FW is a good free choice but there are others.

By having a firewall on the guest you will then be able to control where any network traffic coming from the VM is allowed to go. This will help prevent malware gaining access to other devices on your home network.

Last edited:

bitman

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 22, 2016
One thing I would add is make sure you have an interactive outbound firewall installed on any virtual PC's that have Internet access. Comodo FW is a good free choice but there are others.

By having a firewall on the guest you will then be able to control where any network traffic coming from the VM is allowed to go. This will help prevent malware gaining access to other devices on your home network.
Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: askmark

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
NAT is already the safe and default option since it isolate the IP address to avoid any such infection like worms to jump out on your system.

I don't see any reason to change unless you want to configure something practical.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I've always used NAT and I think it is the best solution because VirtualBox assigns a private IP to the VM and with this configuration the VM has access to the internet, but other hosts on the network cannot access the VM. This means that the VM can access the Internet or to shared folders of the network, but if you share a folder in the VM it will not be reachable by other hosts on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.