Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
So, I wanted to have a snapshot of a clean VM machine state already made so I don't forget it before malware testing and for some idiotic reason, VirtualBox now takes 5 freaking minutes to boot the VM system where without snapshot, it takes like 10 seconds.

Anyone else experiencing this or how are you guys using it in the first place? I used to use VMware Player before where I just had a backup of a whole VM drive and I just restored the whole image from 7z archive. Which ramped 1TB of writes on my SSD for the videos I've made so far and while I have hundreds of terabytes of writes left, it was entirely unnecessary. But with snapshots in VirtualBox, it's taking so long to boot it's also ridiculous.

Why it takes so damn long to boot if you have snapshot already prepared? It means it'll basically do the same if I make a snapshot before malware testing and I have to reboot the system. Before it was so fast I didn't even bother to pause videos. With such long boots because of snapshots, I'll be forced to and I hate that.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I had the same problem but with Vmware. It took me a long time to load the prepared snapshots. Once I needed to create such snapshots to get some keys for Gdata, Eset, Norton... So, it was annoying for me to waste much time to get keys (about 5 minutes instead of 1- 2 minutes). I solved this problem by reinstalling Vmware and making the new snapshots. I guess doing the same procedure would solve this issue in Virtualbox too

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think there is no actual solution but rather depends on hardware specification and configuration on how you setup it.

Since we should aware that the resources of VM no matter what type of operation will be at higher priority, in order to accomplish within fast pace.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Oh god, this is idiotic. If I at any point use Snapshot function, it'll take frigging 5 minutes to boot even if I delete the snapshot later on after I'm done. WTF. WHY!?

EDIT:
In the ende I now have to extract the god damn complete image backup like I was doing with VMware player. This is so stupid.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
What the hell is going on with retarded VirtualBox?! Tried re-installing Windows and guess what, booting of Windows DVD image is taking the same idiotic long time to even boot. WHAT!!?!?!?!?

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Limited VMWare Player at least worked, this stupid crap broke down for no reason just like that after working perfectly fine for several days. It's absurd.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Well it's made by Oracle so you know.......

I would try uninstalling VirtualBox and reinstalling it.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Well it's made by Oracle so you know.......

I would try uninstalling VirtualBox and reinstalling it.
He already reinstalled Windows, so reinstalling VB is unnecessary.
That's why I assume it's a bug. :)

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've used refresh function, but now I've reinstalled it all, Vbox and also the OS in it. Lets see if it wrecks itself after taking first snapshot...

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.