Virtualization Software on 64-bit OS

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Which virtualization software would you recommend for 64-bit systems and why?

Links to useful information would be appreciated as well.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Good point, I was too vague.

I'm talking about partial virtualization, such as Sandboxie. In other words virtualization that doesn't require a separate OS. (Or did that just confuse everyone even more?) :p

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Until BufferZone or GesWall release a x64 version I think Sandboxie is one of if not your best option really.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I'm just worried about the limitations on 64-bit systems. For example here's some notes about it from Sandboxie:
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition

I was just curious if there were certain virtualization programs that are more secure on 64-bit systems than others.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Chiron said:
I'm just worried about the limitations on 64-bit systems. For example here's some notes about it from Sandboxie:
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?NotesAbout64BitEdition

I was just curious if there were certain virtualization programs that are more secure on 64-bit systems than others.

Because of the design of x64 Operating Systems and the security related measures implemented there are few offerings of this type and those that are available as you see are less functional than they would be with x86 based Operating Systems.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The OS itself should also be more secure. In Windows drivers run at kernel level. It makes sense to protect the kernel (using Kernel Patch Protection) but this also affects drivers used by security apps. Microsoft provides an API instead but apparently security software manufacturers find this insufficient since they believe that malware authors will always find a way around Windows protection. Currently the biggest threat for a 64bit OS is the TDL4 bootkit. It bypasses Windows Code-Signing Protection (drivers must be digitally signed) but it doesn't bypass Kernel Patch Protection.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
[split] temporary

To get back on topic ;
I would say that for System Virtualization on 64 bit I would use Shadow Defender and for Programs Virtualization I would recommend the latest beta version of Sandboxie.
Manage to play a little with Sandboxie - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Sandboxie-beta-3-55-with-better-x64-protection?page=2 , it's not a video though.
I might do a video test :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.