Advanced Plus Security Vitali Ortzi Dell security config (Work in progress)

Last updated
May 7, 2020
How it's used?
Operating system
Log-in security
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Symantec endpoint protection 14.3 managed by Symantec endpoint Manager.
And other inbuilt security measures such as configuring exploit guard and enabling core isolation.
Firewall security
About custom security
Made an image of LTSC without many prebuilt apps /services and tools.
replaced and removed them with secure alternative some from the windows store (Better isolation in the kernel and higher support with exploit guard) and some with secure and faster open-source alternatives.

Changes regarding Symantec endpoint protection client installation and policies:
Disabling Sonar and Auto-Protect to reduce the attack surface and increase performance.

Only application and device control /network and host mitigations
components have been utilized in the host Via SPEM server.
I have also made policies to harden the System such as default-deny firewall as well as used the application control module to minimize and isolate critical software.

Reasoning to disable components such as Sonar and bloodhound and even auto-protect (The robust AI and signature-based security components).

Read research papers and project zero articles that indicated how SEP is vulnerable to some forms of exploitation .
As SEP uses a filter driver that intercepts all system I/O Wich makes exploitation highly effective.
One of the issues in SEP is the the way Symantec implemented the Emulator as it unpacks malware in the kernel level .
Anthor issue with SEP Is that it is known to injects hooks into windows processes that Wich could compromise windows integrity and stability.
even worse is the usage of old outdated open-source libraries that Symantec integrates into its products Wich have already been susceptible to exploitation ,one big example is the 7-year old libraries that google project uncovered.
So because of all the above and performance degradation, I have decided to disable the AV Engine /AML and surpass it with the application and device control module.
Other tweaks I made to very
Critical machines are using system lockdown policy as well and other reduction of internal processes.
Periodic malware scanners
Windows based live boot drive aka Windows pe.

For serious infection
Linux based boot drive.
hopefully replacing with a μ-kernel / micro kernel based one once it has enough development.
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox with tweaks from both Reddit and Privacy Tools.
Maintenance tools
Privzer and other inbuilt ones for now .
File and Photo backup
Image based backup.
System recovery
Linux Bootdrive .
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Downloading malware samples
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Dell
8th gen i5
UHD 620
8gb DDR4
NVME 256gb
Notable changes
updated the explanation about disabling some Symantec components.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Still ongoing testing different things post your favorite software recommendations!
BTW if anyone wants SPEM server I have a spare unbinded license.
Already deployed 2 SPEM servers in my house as I'm planning a secure connection for laptops .
Remember want SPEM PM!

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
"User Access ControlNever Notify " - need to be on Always Notify, there's no known bugs or slow downs on Windows 10 if you have an SSD.

Do you have an active 3rd party Firewall at all? And what security program(s) do you have on this machine, it's very hard to tell what you have installed or using the native security.

Backup to me looks decent.

Some things haven't been fully address while the effort has been clearly made.

~LDogg

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
The software name, version number and type of suite needs to be named brother. Other people will be confused about this.

~LDogg
Thanks very much 😊

The software name, version number and type of suite needs to be named brother. Other people will be confused about this.

~LDogg
Hopefully it's a little better now.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
"User Access ControlNever Notify " - need to be on Always Notify, there's no known bugs or slow downs on Windows 10 if you have an SSD.

Do you have an active 3rd party Firewall at all? And what security program(s) do you have on this machine, it's very hard to tell what you have installed or using the native security.

~LDogg
Apart from that:

I participate by downloading malware samples on my Host PC
Please use a virtualized system, thanks!

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016

~LDogg
Made my config secure status thanks to the our MalwareTips community help!

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
In DataBackUp You may use some cloud services...
No cloud thanks .
In SystemBackUp You may use Macrium reflect Free o AOMEI BackUp, both free...
In a case I need to use a backup
I Can't trust anything running in my current operating system.
But thanks for the recommendation.
A love true image and Macrium reflect paid ones for friends and family.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Minor update
1.updated the explanation about disabling some Symantec components.
also wanted to recommend How to Compromise the Enterprise Endpoint for further reading regarding how Symantec is vulnerable.
2. Testing Deception policies before moving to production (will take a long time to get it as secure as possible without hurting stability ).
white paper Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything
Deception product tour

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hey, I didn't know that you run SEP without auto-protect and BB. Have you thought about replacing SEP with Forticlient and -optionally- MBAE?
No it will increase my attack surface.
And I think MBAE is inferior to Symantec anti exploit/exploit guard but haven't done any testing in that regard.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
No it will increase my attack surface.
And I think MBAE is inferior to Symantec anti exploit/exploit guard but haven't done any testing in that regard.

So you think attack vectors are more important risk for you than common malwares? I found the idea interesting but i think in practice, it's not better for home user to disable signature/behaviour detection.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
So you think attack vectors are more important risk for you than common malwares? I found the idea interesting but i think in practice, it's not better for home user to disable signature/behaviour detection.
Malware isn't able to execute.
I used a fingerprint (hash) to exclude all programs on the system as non will execute without it.
And system lockdown is used in some systems in my house.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.