vulnerabilities in the 5 most popular PDF readers

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
There has been a decrease from 70 to 45 in the number of vulnerabilities discovered in the 5 most popular PDF readers - Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, PDFXChange Viewer, Sumatra PDF and Nitro PDF Reader

45 vulnerabilities were discovered in the 5 most popular PDF readers in 2014.

70 vulnerabilities were discovered in the 5 most popular PDF readers in 2013.

At 85%, Adobe Reader has an almost monopoly-like share of the market. There were 43 known vulnerabilities in the program, and 32% of the users left it unpatched.

Foxit Reader had 1 vulnerability. PDFXChange Viewer, Nitro PDF Reader and SumatraPDF each had 0.

PDF READER VULNEREBILITY 2014.jpg

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Nitro Reader is quite stable.

With it's out-of-the box features ( PDF Printer) and light resource use on the system, it's a thing of beauty. My go-to PDF app.

Reactions: tallorder

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I use Foxit PhantomPDF ver5 and PDFXChange Viewer ver5 Pro. Been using it for 5 years now. Is there a cure for this vulnerabilities? Any links to some patches? Thanks very much for this information. The office is also using Foxit PhantomPDF ver7.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Foxit Reader is really quite prevalence on some computers I've encountered since its one to be reliable PDF viewer alternative to Adobe Reader but of course other PDF as mentioned are pretty good to and likely need to consider by other users.

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
And this is why I switched to SumatraPDF before almost 2.5 years from Adobe Reader ;) Vunerabilities - none vs Adobe - so freaking much that updates make you angry.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
And why am I still using Adobe Reader?:confused:

Simply Adobe Reader holds to be one of the easily identified PDF reader available and some enforced on OEM computers.

Even though the program quality is fine then there's nothing wrong to go from alternatives.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.