Watasha's config

Watasha

Thread author
Feb 8, 2011
I run a fairly basic setup, always have. I use DuckDuckGo search engine with WOT rankings which is how I got the rankings before UCF. Linkscanner is also something I've been testing out for the past few months. I list my knowledge as intermediate as I know there are loads of people who can smoke me in that regard.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What are your thoughts on LinkScanner so far, that you have been using it?

Do you use both Search-Shield and Surf Shield?
What about the AVG Security Toolbar? :p

I got to say it's a hefty download... 132 MB :grrrrrr:

I have used it before and I do thing it's a good product.

Watasha

Thread author
Feb 8, 2011
I like Linkscanner so far actually. I've seen it in action a few times so that eases my mind a bit & tells me it's not just a waste of time. You're right though, it is a big download. I don't use the toolbar, I do have both shields activated but Search Shield doesn't work in Comodo Dragon for some reason. I'm hoping this issue is resolved in the next release (V9) of Dragon.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I assume you have the sandbox in CIS set to "Restricted" or "Untrusted", right?
(By the way, the reason I keep repeating this is so that anyone else who reads these will also realize that the default level for the sandbox is currently unsatisfactory, and change theirs.)

Watasha

Thread author
Feb 8, 2011
It's set to restricted. I have CIS tweaked a bit, I guess I should have listed what I changed.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Solid configuration...What other security setups have you used (and liked) in the past?:D

Watasha

Thread author
Feb 8, 2011
Jack said:
Solid configuration...What other security setups have you used (and liked) in the past?:D

I've been a Comodo guy for so long it's hard to remember. I'm running Avast on an old desktop I have. I used to run PCTools Spyware Doctor +AV & the PCTools FW a while ago, it was a bit heavy though. I guess the short answer would be that this is the only setup I've really liked, I do like Avast though.

tinytankerbrunk

Mar 9, 2011
Watasha said:
I like Linkscanner so far actually. I've seen it in action a few times so that eases my mind a bit & tells me it's not just a waste of time. You're right though, it is a big download. I don't use the toolbar, I do have both shields activated but Search Shield doesn't work in Comodo Dragon for some reason. I'm hoping this issue is resolved in the next release (V9) of Dragon.

I use ClearCloud DNS on my router to prevent some malicious sites from reaching my OS, once a site gets past it I have M86's (IE and FF) "SecureBrowsing" HERE

It basically scans in real-time, (not your resource usage here...theirs) for suspicious/malicious code in the HTML and omits from your browsing, unlike WOT. I consider WOT to be a dinosaur in today's malicious threats, as it's always in a state of flux. However, it's good for a novice user to understand in "general" of what domains to be cautious on.

These are two great (and free!) additions you can add to your arsenal without affecting your PC resources.

I would also look into G Data's "CloudSecurity" addon for IE and FF HERE

FYI, the dragon browser isn't a "secure" browser, it's an "enhanced privacy" browser. Dragon is designed with Chromium source, which in fact is the most insecure browser next to Apple's Safari. Read GFI's "Top Most Vulnerable Applications and Operating Systems in 2010"
http://www.gfi.com/blog/top-vulnerable-applications-operating-systems-2010/
If you go down to the comments, the author gave a write up on browser security over the past 4 years. The ONLY one to actually improve is IE, while the rest are getting hammered even worse. However, I can definitely tell you that with the release of IE9 and HTML5 there is going to be some serious 0-day attacks out there that NOTHING will be able to prevent! All those blackhats are anxiously awaiting the official IE9 release to unleash their HTML5 exploits. Believe it!
Safe Browsing!

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
@tinytankerbrunk I think that you've gotten a bit lost here, chromium has an automatic sandbox on it's browser which prevents it from being hit by exploits because you need to manually download any malware.
Safari uses the same rendering engine as chromium and Safari isn't very secure so maybe you are confusing these.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Safari and Chrome/Chromium share a common engine named WebKit. All the browser engine (also called rendering engine) does is render the HTML, CSS, images..etc on your screen (link to Wikipedia). It is not related to security. WebKit is an opensource project so everyone can use the code and modify it to improve it (link to WebKit page). Actually Safari for Windows had several incompatibilities in its implementation of the engine some time ago (link).

tinytankerbrunk

Mar 9, 2011
Excellent information, I stand corrected, but I guess you can't stress enough about the constant progress of exploits that are out there vs. actual security patches.

Watasha

Thread author
Feb 8, 2011
I've been toying with the new release of Threatfire from PCTools. I must say I'm impressed. I used Threatfire around 2 years ago & remember it being a RAM hog but now this thing is running 2 processes at 4300k. Very nice.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Watasha said:
I've been toying with the new release of Threatfire from PCTools. I must say I'm impressed. I used Threatfire around 2 years ago & remember it being a RAM hog but now this thing is running 2 processes at 4300k. Very nice.

Does it actually do anything? I personally don't trust BBs... it is hard to learn what it will allow or block. In contrast, an HIPS asks me, which I like. (Although it is harder for newbie users.)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know you use DuckDuckGo. I am now using it too, it has replaced Google. :+1:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.