Solved Wave sound off

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJdave

Thread author
Jun 27, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite psm40u-07v001. Windows XP The wave sound turns slider all the way down at every log in or start up. Turn it back up and it works fine even threw shut down and start up then it's back down. I tried uninstall of sound drivers. Then reinstall and update. No help. I shut off system retore and ran AVG. same thing. Ran Malwarebites, didn't find anything. Kept googleing till I found your forums. Could it be a Malware infection??? Hope you can help. Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

XP fully updated? last drivers from toshiba installed?

did you try a clean reinstallation of XP?

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hello,

This is actually a very common problem in Windows XP and it can have multiple causes but not usually malware (at least not in my experience). Usually the problem is that there is a program on your computer which is manually resetting the volume, so first things first, could you go to start > Run and type without quotes "msconfig.exe".

Go to the startup tab and uncheck any entries which relate to audio or media. For example Real Player, Quicktime, xxx sound driver etc. Make sure just to uncheck them, not delete (this will make it easier to restore later once we have found the culprit).

Restart and see if that helps. If not then could you reboot into safe mode and see if the volume still resets?

Edit: Also, which media player do you use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.