Technology Wayback Machine under DDoS Attack

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PC Mag reports that the company has said that it is facing an ongoing DDoS attack. This is a type of attack where networks of bots are used to repeatedly hit a server with millions of requests, beyond its capacity to cope, effectively taking it offline to anyone else.
The archive has faced multiple lawsuits from publishers and music labels for copyright infringement. The organization has defended its archiving of copyrighted material by comparing itself to a lending library, though it has lost at least one of these cases.

It’s not likely that any of these companies are behind the attacks, so currently the mystery remains.

Nov 1, 2022
Wow, how did I miss this? (A rhetorical question, I've been buried with work lately, I don't even have time to have a haircut. Checking the tech news is a luxury for me these days.) Wayback Machine is really something else, going, well, way back. We are talking about decades. It was my go-to when I was younger, and I checked things out for fun and nostalgia. I always liked the idea of archiving the web. Later, when archiving became a part of my work, I had to check the sites like Wayback Machine and look for an alternative. I realized I shouldn't rely on it for several reasons. Anyway, it still has a special place in my heart (and memories), and I am sorry to read about this. I couldn't find any updates on the topic from a quick search.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.