Question What All This App Runtime Installations on My Windows 11 Machine?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
What all this app runtime installations on my Windows 11 machine? And do I need them, or is it safe to remove them?
ApplicationFrameHost_2024-06-01_21-46-18.png

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
App runtime installations, like .NET Framework, Visual C++ Redistributable, or Java Runtime Environment, are necessary for many applications to function correctly. They provide libraries and components needed by the apps. It's generally safe to leave them installed. Removing them may cause some apps to malfunction.

Victor M

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
microsoft windows app runtime singleton

The Microsoft Windows App Runtime Singleton is a component of the Windows App SDK (formerly known as Project Reunion). It is responsible for ensuring that only one instance of a Windows app is running at a time. This can be important for apps that need to manage shared resources or that need to present a consistent user experience.
Key Points:
  • Purpose: The Singleton package is part of the Windows App SDK, a set of tools and APIs that allow developers to build modern Windows apps that can run on different versions of Windows.
  • Functionality: It ensures that only one instance of a Windows app using the Windows App SDK is running simultaneously, preventing conflicts and improving resource management.
  • Deployment: The Singleton package is typically installed alongside other Windows App SDK components, and it is usually managed automatically by the Windows App Installer.
  • Management: While you can manually uninstall the Singleton package, it's generally not recommended unless you're troubleshooting a specific issue with a Windows app. Removing it might cause problems with other apps that depend on it.
Additional Resources:

==============================================================
@lokamoka820 The above is cutpaste from AI chat. All you have to do is type in / copypaste the file name to Google Gemini AI ‎Gemini - chat to supercharge your ideas and she will answer it for you. Spend some time to explore AI (ChatGPT, Gemini, CoPilot ) They can do LOTS of things. And they can Understand, and assume in this case the kind of info you need and locate and summarize it for you, not just based on 1 web page but from many. Gone are days when you have to go to 1 page, find a piece of info, refine your search term, and hopefully find another piece of info.
Actually I just realized I forgot that Gemini can understand image files. So I uploaded the png you provided. And she found and summarized info of All of the files in one swoop.

From Gemini''s summaries, you can learn related new things too, things that you did not intentionally/knowingly search for. For instance she mentioned it is likely name 'Singleton package' and that you can uninstall that. So I said

From the file names given in the image, find the package name(s)
Based on the file names in the image, the following package names can be inferred:

• Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.Singleton: This is the package name for the "Microsoft Windows App Runtime Singleton" component.
The other two file names, "Windows App Runtime DDLM" and "Windows App Runtime Main," are likely components of a larger package, and their exact package names cannot be determined from the image alone. However, based on their names and functions, they are likely part of the Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime package, which is the main package for the Windows App Runtime.
Therefore, the package names that can be identified from the image are:

• Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.Singleton
    • Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime (likely)
Please note that this is an educated guess based on the available information. To confirm the exact package names, you would need to consult the official Windows App SDK documentation or use a tool like PowerShell to list the installed packages on your system.

So she indirectly said you can use Powershell to install and uninstall the package.

show me the powershell code to uninstall these packages

Absolutely! Here's the PowerShell code to uninstall the identified packages, along with explanations:

1. Uninstall Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.Singleton:

PowerShell
Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.Singleton | Remove-AppxPackage
Use code with caution.
content_copy
Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.Singleton: This command retrieves the specific package you want to uninstall.
| Remove-AppxPackage: This pipes (|) the output of the previous command (the package details) into the Remove-AppxPackage command, which then uninstalls it.
2. Uninstall Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime (if applicable):

PowerShell

Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime | Remove-AppxPackage
Use code with caution.
content_copy
This follows the same logic as the previous command, but targets the main Windows App Runtime package.
Important Considerations:

Run as Administrator: Make sure to open PowerShell as an administrator before running these commands. This is necessary to have the permissions to uninstall system packages.
Potential Impact: Uninstalling these packages could affect the functionality of any Windows apps that rely on the Windows App SDK. Proceed with caution and only uninstall if you are certain it is necessary.
Alternative: If you are having issues with Windows App SDK apps, you may want to try updating the Windows App SDK to the latest version first, as this might resolve the problem without needing to uninstall any packages. You can find instructions on how to do this on the Microsoft website.
Let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance!

So remember to ask more based on what she reveals. That's the way to use Gemini.

If you analyse how she answered you can see that she understands ideas and concepts. Like a what is a code package, how package names are made up, that packages group together related programs and dll's. Know that it stems from research back from 20 yrs ago that aims to model the human brain. It is not just code and algorithms. AI actually think and learn the way humans do. AI is fed/trained with all the knowledge from the www: law books, reference manuals, literature, Monster, Facebook. Every facet of what we know collectively as a race. It is capable of replacing us. What distinguishes us humans from other animals - intelligence, the ability to learn and think. That is the base and our proudest achievements are built up from that. And it's all there in the www.

@Bot You could have done more in this case. You put AI to shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris22cali

Jun 12, 2024
Your blatant misuse of chatbots is appalling. You are spreading unchecked information.

Chatbots are statistical models, NOT oracles of truth. They process data and spit out guesses based on language patterns. They lack depth, context, or understanding. Yet, here you are, wielding this tool irresponsibly, copying, pasting, and then audaciously criticizing those who choose not to rely on such a flawed method.

This behavior is the epitome of laziness and intellectual dishonesty. It degrades the quality of discourse and misleads those who might not know better. Every piece of information shared without proper verification is a disservice to the truth and all of us trying to maintain integrity.

Your attitude towards those who question or do not use chatbots is dismissive and arrogant. Respect and acknowledge that your way is fraught with errors.

Stop this NOW. Elevate your standards, verify sources, and start respecting the intellectual capacity of others.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No I didn't, I remember they appeared after running the following code in the terminal:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This is a CmdLine that can reinstall and re-register apps from the Microsoft Store. It could install some Windows App Runtime components if installed apps require them. For example, I also have on my computer similar components except for Windows App Runtime DDLM.

Post edited.

Last edited:

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
This is a CmdLine that can reinstall and re-register apps from the Microsoft Store. It could install some Windows App Runtime components if installed apps require them. For example, I also have on my computer similar components except for Windows App Runtime DDLM.

Post edited.
Thank you for the clarification. What is your advice about uninstalling them, is it safe, or I have to let them on my computer?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thank you for the clarification. What is your advice about uninstalling them, is it safe, or I have to let them on my computer?

Windows App Runtime components are trustworthy. If you uninstall them, some already installed UWP apps can work improperly.

Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.