What are some good security solutions for Mac and Linux?

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I've tried a few solutions for macOS recently. Bitdefender and Kaspersky were rather yappy, especially about Windows malware in Mails you wouldn't care about on a Mac in the first place. Feels like they feel a need to beat their drum to justify the cost.

I'm currently running F-Secure's FS Protection beta, but I'm sure F-Secure SAFE would serve you well. Official AV tests haven't given it great scores, but I like (and trust) it. I run my own tests which oftentimes contradict those from the labs, but it's up to you with just how much salt you take them. F-Secure also seems to be light and doesn't interfere with my work at all.

As for Linux, I personally don't think a specific solution is warranted, hence I can't recommend any. Brain.exe has served me well for years on that platform.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I know many people disagree but unless those systems ( mac or linux ) are part of enterprise, Don't waste resource by "antivirus".
Oh, not at all. Running both without an anti-malware solution is perfectly fine, I've done it for years and nothing ever happened. I test FS Protection, because I… well… like to test. :D

Since Luke asked what, not if, I recommended my preferred solution. There is some malware out there for Mac, but I agree, it's not a necessity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.