Advice Request What are some great apps for protecting the information on a laptop computer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Hello everyone. Want to get serious protecting the work I have on my laptop. For now it has:

Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
NVT OSArmor

I tried adding Comodo firewall, but it and Kaspersky cannot stand each other. It's possible to get Comodo installed if KSC is removed first, but then KSC brings alerts about certificates until it isn't worth the trouble to have Comodo. I am ready to move on now, but not sure about how to approach laptop security. What about MITM attacks and other internet dangers? I take the laptop with me when I travel and sometimes when I am moving about. Any special apps for that or a special browser to use? I wish someone made a very serious version of their security suite software designed especially for a laptop.

I know I will need a firewall. In that light I have been dissatisfied with most of the ones I have used. I think FortKnox is on the right track, but the devs seem to be sleeping on that project, and it is buggy and in need of work. Some I don't like much for a laptop:

Glasswire -too heavy
Binisoft (formerly) Windows Firewall Control-too busy for a small screen
Comodo firewall-can't run with KSC
Tiny Wall-underfeatured, for a laptop but maybe it's the best I could do
Zone Alarm-not sure on this but tried it a year ago and not what I am seeking
Private Firewall-just too old

I think the peerfect app for a laptop might be SpyShelter. Think I will be hard pressed to match that kind of protection for free, but maybe it's time to pay. Anyone used AVS firewall? Appreciate any input on this program. Thanks for any nuggets or jewels of knowledge for protecting a laptop...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
kaspersky free + comodo firewall combo is viable, but you need to ensure you exclude both from each other.

Pretty sure some users here will explain how to set it up.

As for firewalls, looks like you are not pleased with any you listed, aside from Comodo.

SpyShelter you will notice some relative slow downs and for that, I would rather use windows 10 firewall and pair it with Tiny Wall or SimpleFirewall.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would suggest you keep your data on external ssd or thumb drives and leave all the programs on the laptop. Then you don't need to have additional software to secure your data. If you want to secure your external devices you can

After that secure the followings

1) your OS
2) your system
3) your browser(s)

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
If you manage highly sensitive information (which I don't think so) I can't recommend anything else than using full disk encryption + BIOS password on a Linux based OS. Otherwise KSC free + a backup strategy should do fine as long as you don't have documents that are from national interest for the russian govt 😄

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think the peerfect app for a laptop might be SpyShelter. Think I will be hard pressed to match that kind of protection for free, but maybe it's time to pay. Anyone used AVS firewall? Appreciate any input on this program. Thanks for any nuggets or jewels of knowledge for protecting a laptop...
Download Spyshelter and try it out. You get 2 weeks trial. SpyShelter lets you make most of the decisions, it is the opposite of set-and-forget.
SpyShelter Firewall version, run in proactive mode, is the ultimate.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I think the peerfect app for a laptop might be SpyShelter. Think I will be hard pressed to match that kind of protection for free, but maybe it's time to pay.
It's true especialy due to new 12.3 version realised yesterday. I think "firewall" version is more usefull - it has "application controll" module in which you manage parent/child processes.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Hello everyone. Want to get serious protecting the work I have on my laptop. For now it has:

Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
NVT OSArmor

I tried adding Comodo firewall, but it and Kaspersky cannot stand each other. It's possible to get Comodo installed if KSC is removed first, but then KSC brings alerts about certificates until it isn't worth the trouble to have Comodo. I am ready to move on now, but not sure about how to approach laptop security. What about MITM attacks and other internet dangers? I take the laptop with me when I travel and sometimes when I am moving about. Any special apps for that or a special browser to use? I wish someone made a very serious version of their security suite software designed especially for a laptop.

If you are concerned with your work, I advise you to invest in KIS ( Kaspersky Internet security), i both a license two days ago for 17€ is not so expensive and its reliable solution.
Encryption of sensitive information is a good practice, some members of the forum already advanced with some options for that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Encryption.

Full Disk Encryption is your friend, combined with cloud encryption apps for cloud platforms.

Unfortunately, BitLocker requires Win10Pro or higher and compatible hardware.

Edit: Spend less on RTP, more on securing your data. RTP can be easily manipulated.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Unfortunately, BitLocker requires Win10Pro or higher and compatible hardware.
Special hardware isn't needed for normal usage. Only if you want using hardware side keys which are less secure then software version anyway.

Windows Home works too with Bitlocker, but only manageable over command line while Pro and higher provide the GUI.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Special hardware isn't needed for normal usage. Only if you want using hardware side keys which are less secure then software version anyway.

Windows Home works too with Bitlocker, but only manageable over command line while Pro and higher provide the GUI.
I cannot use BitLocker on Windows 10 Pro, and I'm sure many others with older hardware cannot either.

Command line to use BitLocker, if the year were 1990.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.